Outboard Kicker Motor Bracket Warning - Trailering?

bumrunner

Seaman
I just bought a heavy duty kicker bracket for my boat as I plan on installing a 9.9 4stroke motor on it. In the instructions, it warns of never trailering with the motor attached. This motor weighs a 100 lbs, which is why I spend over $400 on a good bracket to hold it. The transom is very thick and strong, so I'm wondering if any one out there uses a kicker bracket and if so, do you really remove the motor each time before trailering? Or is this just something they put in the instructions to protect themselves?
Any advice is appreciated

Last edited:

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Outboard Kicker Motor Bracket Warning - Trailering?

I was not aware that folks take their kickers off each time they trailer the boat. I'd be surprised if that is actually necessary.

Like you said, the manufacturer doing some CYA.:)

I have a 5.5hp Johnson kicker but haven't mounted the bracket yet, I've been using it on the transom next to my Merc. Once I do I certainly don't plan on removing it to drive to the lake.

If I'm wrong I hope someone lets us know!

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Nothing but CYA. Probably from some redneck that trailered his boat at 70 MPH down a rut filled dirt road and the kicker was jumping up and down so violently something let go...and they sued...and WON!:eek:

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

Nothing but CYA. Probably from some redneck that trailered his boat at 70 MPH down a rut filled dirt road and the kicker was jumping up and down so violently something let go...and they sued...and WON!:eek:

Which goes to show that you need to tie your kicker down before you go 70 MPH down a rut filled dirt road. Or might be a good idea to generally secure it any way

Hate it when people don't tie things down, had a 15 foot (30 ext.) extension ladder fly off a pick up last month in front of me on the freeway. Fortunately, I was able to stop and the cars behind me didn't do a dance and I now own a near new, slightly scuffed aluminum ladder :)

bumrunner

Seaman

Thank you all!! I figured it was CYA, especially in this day and age.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Probably don't need to tell you, but through-bolt and back-plate that bracket to the transom rather than just lag-screwing it in. I bet that's where the majority of end-user failures would occur.

But as was said, tie down that kicker with a couple good buckle pull-straps--just in case.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I have NEVER trailed my boat without the kicker motor on the bracket. Early on, I had my wife drive the rig while I followed in the other car to see how it reacted. In my case, the motor bounces more on Lake Erie than it does on the highway.

I'm running a 9.9 2-stroke on an OMC HD bracket with gas cylinder.

That said, last year I began noticing some extra bouncing while underway. A close look showed that the bracket's bushings were starting to wear. I replaced the bracket with a NOS unit I got on EBay and all is well again.

Just to clarify, the original bracket was 25 years old and my trip to the ramp is only a couple miles on good roads at 30 mph.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I have been using a kicker bracket on my boat since 1982 but for a 15 HP 2 stroke Johnson that weighs 77 pounds.
At first I had one bracket that was for a motor to 120 pounds and 20 HP.
The motor was fine on the water but on the road would jump all around.
So I added a second bracket right along side and tied the two together. Made a big difference.
When release the motor would go about half way down then would have to push the rest of the way down.
Also when all the way down would come up about half way then would have to lift the rest of the way.
Last weekend I also added a 15 HP 4 stroke electric start that weigh 116 pounds.

I think I will need to upgrade my mounts again but going to do a test run before makeing the change.

I have always use a big nylon strap to secure the motor on the road.

I would like to here a report as to what bracket you got and how it works out for you.

I been looking at one that is suppose to be good for 369 pounds but very expensive.
I will post a picture of my old set up with my old motor.

MVC-055F-1.jpg

P8030151-2.jpg

MVC-077F-1.jpg