bilge works but water in ski locker area

stephen pinti

Recruit
i have water in my ski locker of my 1998 monterey 210 br. my bilge pump will pump water out of engine compartment but not out of ski locker area. there is a drain cover in ski locker area, took in off and can only fill fiberglass down in hole and no drain or hose continues back to engine compartment that i can find. getting tired of suctioning out water with a kids toy.

please help me if you can it is my first boat with 3 little girls. wanting to be as safe as i can. thank you in advance for your help.

security6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: bilge works but water in ski locker area

I had the same thing happen to my boat. A couple things to do:

1) Make sure the bow is up high when you store it.
2) Use a shop-vac to suck any muck out of the ski locker.
3) Try and clear out the hole. What I did was stick my garden hose into the ski locker (turned on full blast) and pushed it into the hose. The idea is to blast any muck that is plugging up the drain route. My boat doesn't have a drain pipe/hose connecting the ski locker to the bilge, but it does have openings so water can run out of there.

toolman4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My boat is a 99 starcraft and I have the same problem. I am going to take a piece of plastic and silicone it over the hole because for me that is the only way to keep it out and I also have a bilge.

a70eliminator

Captain

So the water in the ski locker is comming from dripping wet water toys and splash?

scbackpacker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check out this thread "97 Monterey, standing water in ski storage compartment" I don't know how to link to it but I'm sure someone will. I have a 1995 Monterey 196 Montura that does the same thing. I pulled the carpet out and when I park the boat I leave the ski locker door open and let it dry out. I get water in when I launch the boat. I think it may be coming in from the anchor hold which I believe had a drain low on the bow.

stephen pinti

Recruit

my boat is in a dock slip i don't pull it out. water is coming in from old cover, in process of lining up a new cover but their should still be a way to get water out of ski locker in order for things to stay dry

stephen pinti

Recruit

Check out this thread "97 Monterey, standing water in ski storage compartment" I don't know how to link to it but I'm sure someone will. I have a 1995 Monterey 196 Montura that does the same thing. I pulled the carpet out and when I park the boat I leave the ski locker door open and let it dry out. I get water in when I launch the boat. I think it may be coming in from the anchor hold which I believe had a drain low on the bow.

there should be a way for the water to get back to the engine compartment so that the bilge pump can pump it out. this is the fix i need for peace of mind.

stephen pinti

Recruit

So the water in the ski locker is comming from dripping wet water toys and splash?

water coming from rain and old cover. trying to get new cover but still should be able to get water from locker area to engine compartment so that it can be bilged out of boat

a70eliminator

Captain

Get an electricians fish tape and send it all the way back to the bilge, a plumbers drain snake may be too large.
I believe you ski locker drain is clogged with debris. A vacuum as suggested earlier would be worth a try.

battscrew

Seaman Apprentice

New to boating and having the same problem - do all storage lockers have a type of drain built into them?

smokintoad

Seaman Apprentice

I can't believe any manufacturer would build a boat without proper drainage. I have never seen one that did not. If it does not have drainage, fix it. There should be a drainage hole in the rear of the ski locker and every locker, even if it just drains to the deck. It is not uncommon for these drainage holes to become clogged with debris. You must keep them clear at all times no matter if the boat is on the water, at a slip, or on the trailer. Water sitting in your boat will cause many headaches.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

you would be suprised.
some boats may not have a drain.
don't be afraid to drill a hole

Mordekai

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could be a dumb question but do you guys use the hole that the plug goes in as a drain also when cleaning it?