Manual Bilge Pump

Smokn

Cadet
:rolleyes:I have a manual (non-auto) bilge pump and was wandering should I leave it on all the time while in the water of course or just turn it on when I notice water building up?

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Manual Bilge Pump

leave it on while mooring... safety first !

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

by the way ,... that man has created the finest manual pump , for emptying a mayo jar full of water...

a70eliminator

Captain

I'm not sure I would leave it on running dry 24-7 it probably won't last very long, I wouldn't leave mine until it had an automatic float set up.
and yea that mayo jar bilge wasn't too efficient, guy was pumping his a** off to empty it, I think I could beat it with a coffee can and one hand.

HotKetchup

Seaman

Depends on the boat I would guess. If it's known to take on a little water, then turn in on for a bit and listen for all the water to quit pumping out. Either by the different sound of the bilge pump or the water going overboard. I usually flip the switch and listen for a second as soon as I sit down to start the motor (before I run the blower of course). usually dry as a bone. :cool:
I definitely wouldnt run it constantly. I imagine it would burn up sitting there running dry. Hopefully its dry anyway. If your boat takes on enough water to keep the pump moving water all the time then you have more to worry about than your bilge pump. :eek:

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

to all of those who have ever siphoned a fluid with a hose...this is a step into the future.... I have spit my share of gasoline in my days...I say KUDOS to this entrepreneur ! Maybe someday , one will be built using a spring mechanism , or maybe even 12 volt DC power to achieve this amount of suctioning force ! :D

a70eliminator

Captain

I've never left my boat in mooring and the plugs out and bow high when trailered, I've never ever had to run the bilge pump, even water drainage from swimming hasn't accumilated enough for the pump to prime, haven't yet been caught in a terrential downpour, I do test the pump once in a while dumping a 5 gal bucket of water.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I remember one time while anchored in my 16' Winner Marrauder..just bull**&&&^ting with my brother and having a beer....all of a sudden , a four footer washed up over the bow of it (closed bow) and hitting the windshield...we looked at each other when it went up over the shield...it actually hung there for a second or two...just enough for us to think we were gonna be ok....lol... we both made the same face..like we had just escaped a drenching...WRONG..... about 40 gallons of water dropped on us...lolol.. I'll never forget that day ...nor will he...lol :D ... we laughed ,and I switched on the bilge pump...lol

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think there are some folks posting in the thread who did not watch the video in the other thread with the dude touting his homemade manual bilge pump. Makes some of the comments in this thread funnier. My manual bilge pump consists of a coffee can and a human to scoop water out and chunk it over board.

Smokn

Cadet

Ok Ok ... sorry if it seemed like a dumb question ... first boat I ever had and it came with a non-auto bilge pump and my boat does seem to have water in it every time I stop. I turn it on for a while and pump it out as much as I can ... Just didn't know if I was suppose to leave it on all the time. I will invest in an auto pump as soon as I save my money after buying a new/used prop.

Thanks for the InFo!

Smokn:D

a70eliminator

Captain

You better find out where the water is comming from before it gets worse, your bilge shouldn't be taking on any water.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

get the pump set up first or you won't need that prop.
what boat do you have?

Smokn

Cadet

1970 ebbtide tri hull with a 70 hp chrysler motor on it. I did have a hole in the deck but I am repairing it now but that shouldn't explain all the water... can water come in through the bilge pump outlet or is it above water plain.

a70eliminator

Captain

The pump outlet should be above the water line, with a full load, on rough water, the outlet could dip below the waterline, the outlet hose should make a big loop up and back down to prevent water intrusion in that case.

Smokn

Cadet

Ok that makes sense .... mine goes straight down to the pump, I will get more hose and loop it up just to make sure.

Thanks!