Oar/Paddle (?)

ol tymer

Cadet
Just bought an 18' aluminum River Hawk w/ 60hp 4 stroke Merc ob. My question is, is it recommended to have some sort of paddle on board in case of (???). If so, can anyone recommend a strong breakdown version, easily stored out of the way so's not to interfere with fishing. I just hate to think of being "up the creek without..." You get the idea. Thanks.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Oar/Paddle (?)

First, you definitely need to carry a paddle. Second, I've always stowed a standard 1 piece in the under gunwale rod holder, no need for collapsable...

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

in some states it's a requirement to have one onboard. Check your local laws.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Absolutely.
I'd avoid a "break-down" type because (a) it will probably just break and (b) it's got a bad-luck name.
When I'm boating the marsh I also always carry a shove pole. Next to the anchor, it's the most important equipment.
I am often astounded by people with no paddle, like the ones with tiny anchors (or none) and no basic tools. Since I joined this forum, I have also been astounded that people have boats with bilges, and no bilge pump.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Absolutely.
I'd avoid a "break-down" type because (a) it will probably just break and (b) it's got a bad-luck name.
When I'm boating the marsh I also always carry a shove pole. Next to the anchor, it's the most important equipment.
I am often astounded by people with no paddle, like the ones with tiny anchors (or none) and no basic tools. Since I joined this forum, I have also been astounded that people have boats with bilges, and no bilge pump.

That's...not...good...

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Get a standard solid wood paddle. The "breakdown" and aluminum ones flex alot. Think about it: if you are already broke down and have to paddle, would you want to work your a** off with a paddle that bends halway back with every stroke?

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Ours is a 5 ft. long aluminum shaft with a plastic paddle. The real value is the plastic double hook on the other end. I have used it many, many times to retrieve "stuff" from over the side. Haven't used the paddle end for a while now. It is attached to the gunwale with velcro at two points and serves us well! It is on it's 3rd boat, and I wouldn't think of letting it go.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have 2 standard wooden paddles and they have come in handy many time for many different reasons.

a70eliminator

Captain

Are those collapsable alluminum/plastic paddles really that flimsy? I was conemplating getting a couple, I already have two light weight wooden paddles, one in each boat but another one would be great for a second rower if i really did get stranded.

pinellas50

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got one of the collapsable aluminum ones from West Marine. The paddle part also has a cleat grabber built in. It seems sturdy enough but I have never had to use it.

PWH1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just picked up 2 5' wood paddles from Gander Mtn. @ 14.95 a piece. Nicely finished, strong, and sure to get the job done should they be needed.