Best fabric for boat cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Best fabric for boat cover?

I had my custom cover made this morning, I'll post pics later - but I wanted to say I went with Top Gun. He gave me a sample of Top Gun, and he cut into it 2 inches, and told me to try and rip it. I couldn't tear it one bit, and I gave it my all!

Now he gave me a piece of Sunbrella, and cut into the sample. I grabbed ahold of it the way I did the top gun, and with just a little bit more than minimal pulling, it started to rip, you could hear it, and I was all set to tear the piece in two...

So yeah, they each have their advantages and disadvantages, but I have now seen first hand how the Top Gun is way stronger....

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

I had my custom cover made this morning, I'll post pics later - but I wanted to say I went with Top Gun. He gave me a sample of Top Gun, and he cut into it 2 inches, and told me to try and rip it. I couldn't tear it one bit, and I gave it my all!

Now he gave me a piece of Sunbrella, and cut into the sample. I grabbed ahold of it the way I did the top gun, and with just a little bit more than minimal pulling, it started to rip, you could hear it, and I was all set to tear the piece in two...

So yeah, they each have their advantages and disadvantages, but I have now seen first hand how the Top Gun is way stronger....
i dont have a dog in this fight but have to call B S on this rip deal

have seen worked with and handled both and this dosnt ring true

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

i dont have a dog in this fight but have to call B S on this rip deal

have seen worked with and handled both and this dosnt ring true

I kept a sample of the top gun, I'll try and get a piece of sunbrella somewhere and make a video.... I wouldn't make this up. Sunbrella was strong, but it did tear. I couldn't budge the top gun piece at all..

The sunbrella had the strength of .... a good quality t-shirt at least.... but once it had the cut put in it, I had no problems continuing to rip it..

mtbdudex

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I kept a sample of the top gun, I'll try and get a piece of sunbrella somewhere and make a video.... I wouldn't make this up. Sunbrella was strong, but it did tear. I couldn't budge the top gun piece at all..

The sunbrella had the strength of .... a good quality t-shirt at least.... but once it had the cut put in it, I had no problems continuing to rip it..

Where did this end up? I'm interested.

My 1996 Four Winns Horizon 170 is in need of replacement cover, the original one (14 years old) had strings come our, some tears. I live in SE Michigan and this boat is stored outside year round, boat used boating weekends and the twice/year trips. I don't need the 2-piece bowrider /main cabin custom cover with snaps per say.

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am curious about this too since I need a good waterproof cover. One thing I am curious about is when people say "Sunbrella" like it is one product is several colors. Aren't there different grades of Sunbrella?

Wayne

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Sunbrella Marine Fabric is what is used for boat covers. It is the 9.25 oz/sq yd fabric.

Status
Not open for further replies.