Help with steering part?

louiss3000

Cadet
Hi all,

After giving up boating on northeastern rivers, in the mid 80's, or thinking I had anyway, and now living in South Florida, I recently acquired a 1973, 24', twin Volvo AQ130C/270D project. It's Teleflex steering cable was attached to the transom with a thoroughly rusted 'outboard version' of Teleflex's clamp block. I cannot see how the cable was secured when new, but this engineered method clearly wasn't it.

To get the correct geometry between the steering arms and the steering cable tube, I have fabricated a mount that attaches to the starboard engine flywheel housing. My question is the ball stud in the Teleflex clamp block. What size was it (before it rusted away)? My thought is to put the correct ball size stud in the fabricated mount, and use the Teleflex clamp.

If someone has one of these mounts, (see attached pic), and would measure the OD of that ball, I would greatly appreciate it. The pic shows a clamp with 2 bolts, mine actually has 4 though.

Thinking back to those days, we never had a resource like this board. I've learned more here, by just lurking and reading everything I can, in the last 2 months, than the years back then. Lovin' it....

Thanks in advance,
LS

Attachments

• 97654.jpg
    97654.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 0