• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel Fill Hose

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Fill Hose

Hi everyone.I have a quick question.My fuel fill hose is leaking,noticed it on my first time out in my new to me boat.I filled the tank,and smelled alittle fuel after we got it in the water.( 1977 Thompson Del Ray 18FT 400ci Chevy w/Pre alpha drive) I turned the blower on,and kept it on for awhile after we were under way,gas gauge dont work either.After we ran out of gas,and paddled into shore,we got a few 6 gallon cans of fuel,and filled the boat again while it was sitting in the water,thats how i knew the fuel fill hose was leaking,as it filled the bilge up with gas.My question is,do i have to pull the floor out to change that hose,is it fastened down? I already bought the new fill hose from this site,I purchased 2 Ten foot sections,just wondering if there is an easier way to do it.I already purchased a new sending unit,hoping that will fix my gauge problem.
    1996 Sea Ray 210 BR Select Signature
    1977 190-T Del Ray 18ft With a 400 ci Chevy

Re: Fuel Fill Hose

are you 100% sure that its the fill hose? it could be a failed tank, failed vent hose connection, failed supply line hose, failed (corroded through) sending unit. hopefully it's just a failed connector. If you dont have an obvious access panel to the tank you'll have to cut one.

MyViewGS

Comment

Yea,I am pretty sure its the fill hose.I pulled the tank,thinking the tank was bad,didnt find any visible cracks ( Tank is stainless ) so while i have the tank out,I am also changing the vent hose,and the main fuel line.What i did was put my garden hose in the filler at the back of the boat,and i got into the boat and plugged the filler hose,then turned on the garden hose,and sure enough,somewhere under the floor,i have water coming into the bilge.So thats why i think it the filler neck hose.I was just hoping that i didnt need to cut the floor up to get it out.I am replacing the whole filler hose,if 1 spot is bad,i am sure it will leak eventually somewhere else.

Comment

Ok,Good news.I pulled the carpet up,and the floor is still pretty solid.Shouldnt have a problem lasting through the summer,going to replace the whole floor over the winter.

Well,I cut a few access holes in the floor,and was able to snake the old fill hose out

Comment

Here is the culprit,Seems to have been leaking for awhile (I just bought the boat 1 month ago) seems the old owner forgot to tell me that it had a fuel leak issue.I have only had it on the water once,and thats when i realized i had a fuel leak.

Got the new fill hose installed,it was too dark to take pictures though.I am going to replace the vent hose also,better safe then sorry.Anyone have any suggestions on how i can repatch these holes i had to cut,I was planning on somehow using the same peices i cut out??? Thanks for all the help everyone,I am addicted to this site now,thanks for all the help with my first boat

Comment

Originally posted by odie241 View Post
            Here is the culprit,Seems to have been leaking for awhile (I just bought the boat 1 month ago) seems the old owner forgot to tell me that it had a fuel leak issue.I have only had it on the water once,and thats when i realized i had a fuel leak.

Got the new fill hose installed,it was too dark to take pictures though.I am going to replace the vent hose also,better safe then sorry.Anyone have any suggestions on how i can repatch these holes i had to cut,I was planning on somehow using the same peices i cut out??? Thanks for all the help everyone,I am addicted to this site now,thanks for all the help with my first boat
            Where did you get the hose and what did it cost you. I have been trying to find one and the best I have found is a little over 100 bucks for a 8 foot section.

Comment

This is the exact hose,and place i bought it from.
              http://www.iboats.com/Shields-Fire-A...-view_id.45038

I bought two 10 foot sections,thinking I was going to need an estimated 14ft,it cost me $137.50 for both sections,and that was including shipping.They said 5 business days to reach my house,but it was here in 2 days

I have 1 other question.When i pulled the hose out,it had the ground wire wrapped around it that hooks onto the tank,but on the other end,it wasnt hooked up anywhere.Anyone know where i should connect it to??? And could that be the reason why my fuel gauge doesnt work?? I already boat a new fuel sending unit from iboats also,hoping maybe that would fix it,plus,since i have the tank out of the boat,i might as well change it,new is always better the 1977 old,,lol

Comment

Anyone know where i should connect it to???
                Ayuh,... 1 of the reasons for the wire reinforcment is to electrically bond the fill fitting to the tank, where it's bonded to the motor...
                Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Comment

This is the exact hose,and place i bought it from.
                  http://www.iboats.com/Shields-Fire-A...-view_id.45038

I bought two 10 foot sections,thinking I was going to need an estimated 14ft,it cost me $137.50 for both sections,and that was including shipping.They said 5 business days to reach my house,but it was here in 2 days
                  Take a step back before you use that hose. Sounds as though you'll need to splice together 2 pieces to run from fuel fill to tank? Not a good idea. It introduces another potential point for gasoline fumes to enter the bilge. You should have a single, continuous run of hose, double-clamped at both ends. Return it and buy your 14' in a single length.

My .02
                  John and Linda
                  Long Island, NY
                  Escapade III
                  1992 Carver 26 Command Bridge
                  Twin Merc Alpha 4.3 'Gen +'

Comment

Originally posted by Bond-o View Post
                    Ayuh,... 1 of the reasons for the wire reinforcment is to electrically bond the fill fitting to the tank, where it's bonded to the motor...
                    Thanks Bondo,but the wire i found isnt made into the hose,it is a ground wire that clips to the tank with a female spade,and goes to the back of the boat,but it wasnt hooked up anywhere,it has an eyelet like it should be hooked up somewhere???

Comment

Thanks Bondo,but the wire i found isnt made into the hose,it is a ground wire that clips to the tank with a female spade,and goes to the back of the boat,but it wasnt hooked up anywhere,it has an eyelet like it should be hooked up somewhere???
                      Mine had the same and it was connected to one of the bolts holding on the fuel fill on the side of the boat.

This Thing!

Comment

That's what Bond-o said.... its to ground the deck fill appliance. Also, I agree with JoLin, you need to use one long piece of hose. And as for patching the holes you cut .... save the cut pieces, they can be used to help patch the holes. read through the restoration section for "how to's" .... or insert a small access panel just in case more work is needed in that area again later.

MyViewGS

Comment

Yes the ground wire is important.
                          When you fill up your car ever read the signs, always keep nozzle in contact with car, put protables on the ground, etc..........No portable elctronic devices?
                          A Static charge can build up, then create a spark, then boom. The filler cap in a glass boat has nothing grounding it. Therefore there should be a wire from filler cap, to metal fuel tank, to motor. This allows any static build to slowly ground vs. building up a good charge and creating a spark.

Comment

Originally posted by JoLin View Post
                            Take a step back before you use that hose. Sounds as though you'll need to splice together 2 pieces to run from fuel fill to tank? Not a good idea. It introduces another potential point for gasoline fumes to enter the bilge. You should have a single, continuous run of hose, double-clamped at both ends. Return it and buy your 14' in a single length.

My .02
                            Thanks for the info Jolin,I was skeptical about that too,but as it looks,my measurements were way off,and 1 section of 10ft hose made it the whole way,so I am sending the other section back,its been under 2 weeks.I will post a pic of the finished hose when i get home from work.

Originally posted by scca vette View Post
                            Mine had the same and it was connected to one of the bolts holding on the fuel fill on the side of the boat.

This Thing!
                            Wow perfect thanks scca vette,thats exactly where it goes,thanks for the quick reply,and picture =)

Originally posted by MyViewGS View Post
                            That's what Bond-o said.... its to ground the deck fill appliance. Also, I agree with JoLin, you need to use one long piece of hose. And as for patching the holes you cut .... save the cut pieces, they can be used to help patch the holes. read through the restoration section for "how to's" .... or insert a small access panel just in case more work is needed in that area again later.

MyViewGS
                            Thank You MyViewGS,I was hoping to somehow use the old peices,maybe screw some kind of bracket,to hold them down,as after summer,I am going to replace the WHOLE floor.Seen some really good projects on how to do the floor on here.

Originally posted by bcons View Post
                            Yes the ground wire is important.
                            When you fill up your car ever read the signs, always keep nozzle in contact with car, put protables on the ground, etc..........No portable elctronic devices?
                            A Static charge can build up, then create a spark, then boom. The filler cap in a glass boat has nothing grounding it. Therefore there should be a wire from filler cap, to metal fuel tank, to motor. This allows any static build to slowly ground vs. building up a good charge and creating a spark.
                            Thank You bcons,I will add one going to the motor also from the tank,like you said,better safe then sorry,I dont wanna go Booooom. =) I love this site,and all the people here,you guys are so helpful,thanks again everyone

Comment

if you are going to replace the floor anyways, just get a few scraps of 1x2 and screw them to the underside of the floor on either side of the opening, leaving an edge to put the removed panel back onto. Then screw the panel down to the 1x2. I wouldnt do this as a long term repair, but it will last the season. If you feel better, fiberglass over the patched area to make it water resistant (at least from the topside)
                              boat =

B reak
                              O ut
                              A nother
                              T housand

Comment

Working...
                              X