• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixing ethanol gas with non-ethanol gas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing ethanol gas with non-ethanol gas

Is it safe to mix ethanol (E10) gas with non-ethanol gasoline for use in outboard engines?

Re: Mixing ethanol gas with non-ethanol gas

If the non-ethanol gas has the additive MMT, then NO it is not acceptable. It will goo up your tank and engine if mixed with ethanol. Since you don't know what's in the non-ethanol, be safe. Burn all the non ethanol gas first.

Comment

You have probably done it many times and have never known it, the two are 100% compatible.

Comment

Beg to differ! MMT and ethanol in the presence of moisture WILL form a gel that clogs fuel filters and carbs. Ask the guys that I charged over 100 bucks each to clean out their outboards last year after they were stuck on the water.

Do not confuse mixing them in autos where the tank remains relatively dry and the fuel is used rather quickly with boats where there is always some moisture present and fuel MAY last more than a week.

Comment

My experience is from about 20 years of running both products and mixing them without concern. We were one of the first places in North America to start using blends, at first it was seasonal and we had to switch back and forth twice a year. Now most locations only use blends, but this changes due to availability of fuel without notice. I have never seen or heard of incompatibility of the two products.

Don't take this as an approval of E 10, I don't like it, just that the two can be used together.

Comment

Well, Boaty...there's your answer(s).

Clear everything up?
            2001 Carver Voyager 374 'Stick's Competition'

Something tells me I should be on the water....

If I answer your upholstery questions, it's only because I've been doing it 20+ years...

Comment

I have an E85 Jeep, and it's fine to combine e10 & e85. The only requirement that i can recall is that i need to use a special synthetic oil. I would have to imagine that there would be little harm in mixing e10 and non-ethanol in an outboard engine. It's just going to dillute the mixture. The fuel filter should take care of the rest. I'd suggest not using any e85 though!

Comment

I looked around and tried to find something discussing the MMT and E 10 problem, all I could find was information on its toxicity and it being banned in some places, much of this was old info. This doesn't mean there isn't a problem, just that I couldn't find anything on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Acampora View Post
                  Beg to differ! MMT and ethanol in the presence of moisture WILL form a gel that clogs fuel filters and carbs. Ask the guys that I charged over 100 bucks each to clean out their outboards last year after they were stuck on the water.

Do not confuse mixing them in autos where the tank remains relatively dry and the fuel is used rather quickly with boats where there is always some moisture present and fuel MAY last more than a week.
                  I believe you mean MTBE, not MMT. The combination of gasoline, MTBE, ethanol, and water, has been shown to form a gel like you mention. However, MMT has not been shown to have this effect as far as I know. MMT has other problems and should be avoided, but I don't believe it causes fuel gelling.
                  1988 Sea Ray Seville 16 BRO w/1997 Mariner 115
                  My build thread
                  My upholstery thread

Comment

And MTBE is no longer used.

One of the other possible issues with MMT was a build up of deposits on sensors.

Comment

Our DNR stopped using mixed fuels because they were burning up outboards long before their time. The ethanol mix burns hotter and in the warmer waters here in the south, they continue to have overheating problems. They contract fuel purchases only with stations that sell 100% gasoline.

I frequent a lake near my home that serves a nuclear power plant and the water temp is already at 89 degrees and they aren't even using the nuclear reactor. When they generate nuclear power, the water temp near the inlet canal will be above 100 with no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by KermieB View Post
                        Our DNR stopped using mixed fuels because they were burning up outboards long before their time. The ethanol mix burns hotter and in the warmer waters here in the south, they continue to have overheating problems. They contract fuel purchases only with stations that sell 100% gasoline.

I frequent a lake near my home that serves a nuclear power plant and the water temp is already at 89 degrees and they aren't even using the nuclear reactor. When they generate nuclear power, the water temp near the inlet canal will be above 100 with no problem.
                        Again, decades of use here and no such problems.

Comment

Here is a reply I received from an outfit here in Florida, Tampa area when I asked the exact same question. They are heavily involved in cleaning and replacing fuel tanks in boats mostly due to the use (or mis-use) of ethanol. Hope this sheds some light.Mr. Villafranca;

Sorry for not answering back sooner, but the fuel environment is going nuts since the weather has changed.

So what I have found, and it is difficult to pin-point, but a reaction takes place when ethanol fuels and MtBE fuels are mixed. Since ethanol loves water, we now have a third element to deal with. We know that ethanol fuel will phase separate when the percentage of water reaches 0.5% at either 60 or 70 degrees F. At this point a dark slurry will appear at the bottom of the fuel tanks. I often reference this as dark grapefruit, but actually it is the mixing of MtBE & ethanol.

Located in http://www.enertechlabs.com/ethanol_in_gasoline.htm they also reference this goo. In addition I have attached a photo taken during a tank cleaning last summer. On the left is a pre-filtration sample bottle, next is a post-filtration sample bottle and finally a bottle of water. The matter in the pre-filtration sample bottle hadn't time to reach the black goo but given time it would have. At this stage the boat was out of service and was undergoing major cost set-backs to restore the engines.

Hope this helps somewhat, I know there will be more questions because these are uncharted grounds.

Sincerely,

Luther Carrier

Comment

How old is that letter?

It is my understanding that MTBE isn't used anymore, it was found to contaminate the ground water. I may be mistaken, but I think it was used for the same purpose as the ethanol....to oxygenate the fuel for cleaner burning.

MTBE may only be banned in some areas.

Comment

Originally posted by ondarvr View Post
                              Again, decades of use here and no such problems.

What's the average lake water temperature in Washington?

Comment

Working...
                              X