Do they make boat touch up paint?

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer
Any one know if they make boat touch up paint? Looking to touch up some small nicks in my boat.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Do they make boat touch up paint?

Good Question.

I think you might talk to the boat manufacture.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

Its a 1989 so I dont think they would still carry it if they even did. Would car touch up paint work since I know alot of cars now a days are fiber glass. Its only nicked in a couple spots where it rubed against the dock or the jetski bumped agaist the side.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Car touch up paint may work.

Maybe someone will chime in.

CATransplant

Admiral

They do, but they discontinue it just before you need it.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

I am not sure how long it will last but depending on the color, I like rust-oleum because it is an oil based enamel and stands up to the elements very well

Methinks you need More Fenders :p

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Small nicks??????? Gel Coat Repair kit.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

+1 on a gelcoat repair kit. They come with different colors that you mix to custom match your color. I wouldn't trust a touch up paint as you boat has most likely faded some from the original color, and the paint wouldn't match. Better to mix it up yourself and apply it. Search youtube for videos on gelcoat repair. They take you through the steps pretty quickly.

MelodyBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As others have said get a gel coat repair kit. I don't think they sell touch up paint for boats...only cars.

If they are small surface scratches you could use marine wax with a colour tint. Haven't tried it though.

jmfrost

Seaman

+1 on a gelcoat repair kit. They come with different colors that you mix to custom match your color. I wouldn't trust a touch up paint as you boat has most likely faded some from the original color, and the paint wouldn't match. Better to mix it up yourself and apply it. Search youtube for videos on gelcoat repair. They take you through the steps pretty quickly.

+2. Fiberglass is under the gelcoat. The gelcoat repair kits should have a mix of gelcoat colors and a hardener to mix with them.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

Ill have to look into the gel coat repair kit later today for the spots where it went into the gel coat, but the other spots I need to touch up arent bad they are just in the vinyl decals

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I bought my boat there was a few small nicks on it and one fairly big gouge on the stern right above the Crownline name. It was very noticable and I hated looking at it. I bought a Gelcoat repair kit last year, but was alway afraid to use it.

Well last weekend I mixed it and patched all the little nicks and the gouge. I could not get the color to match perfectly. Red is very hard to match, but I have to admit it looks a heck of a lot better than it did.

After applying my wife said it looks terrible, but that was before I finished it off. I wet sanded with 800, then 1000, then 2000 grit sandpaper, then rubbing compound, polishing compound and finally marine wax. The shine is now perfect, but the color is still off a little and I can feel the spot when I rub my hand over it, but you have to really look for it to see it. I probable wouldn not of even bothered with the little nicks had it not been for the gouge.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

with the gelcoat repair kit it must be very hard to try and match the color it looks like they only give you 5 diffrent colors.

A couple spots in the gelcoat on the red are about a mm deep and I want to make sure the red will match the red on my boat.

QC

Supreme Mariner

+522

You use the 5 colors to mix to your color. Color match is voodoo, so you have to make some test batches and compare before you make the repair. There is no real alternative whether you are an amateur or a pro.

dkorzun21

Chief Petty Officer

ok might be asking to much but does anyone have any pics of there repair with this stuff?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander