Jabsco main water pump has loud clicking

Rocketeir

Recruit
Hi there all, newbie first post here. I have a 1982 Burns Craft with a Jabsco main water pump. I believe it is the 36800 model. It puts out great pressure and volume but just started to make a loud clicking noise during operation. Any thoughts as to what repair would be needed? Thanks for your help in advance.

Steve

dockwrecker

Lieutenant
Re: Jabsco main water pump has loud clicking

You mean the potable water pump to a galley sink right? Mine clicks when the tank goes empty, thumps normally during operation. If it's pumping it's probably fine, they are pretty much a "go-nogo" part.

Rocketeir

Recruit

Thanks for the reply dockwrecker. Yes, it is the main potable water pump. I made sure there was water in both tanks and cleaned the inlet filter but it is still making the noise. It is LOUD and metalic and is on every stroke until it gets to the pressure setting and it stops with the pump. It does not sound right at all.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

maybe some foreign object inside, if it is a piston pump maybe a rod knock

Rocketeir

Recruit

It is a piston pump, and does sound like a rod knock. Is there a repair kit for that? I would assume it would be bearing related. I have seen replacement rods offered for sale as well. Thanks for the reply.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

look up the MFG they are still in business I am sure they have a repair kit for it

Rocketeir

Recruit

Just to clear out the topic and leave the answer for search:

The noise was a rod knock and was caused by the rod to cam bolt being loose. I applied a little torque and wa-la, silent as a ghost again. Simple problem and simple answer. I will keep an eye on it and if it loosens again will pick up a new lock nut for it.

Problem solved (Cheaply)!