using diluted bleach on fiberglass???

93bronco

Ensign
ive done this, but is there some long term effects from using a bleach solution to clean the fiberglass of stains & mildew?<br />if so i need to quit.

Link

Rear Admiral
Re: using diluted bleach on fiberglass???

2K <br />I'm a bleach freak so I'm going to be following this post! I use it on stone..wood, brick and most everything else to kill mold and clean.<br />Topmason isn't allowed to read this :) <br />Most bleach in the stores in only like 6 or 7% so I would hate to see or get near in in 100% form<br /><br />Link

Rick K

Petty Officer 1st Class

Although I question his sanity sometimes, I have a friend who uses a muriatic acid & water mix on his fiberglass hull. It takes the 1/4" layer of slime and crap right off the hull and makes it look brand new. No clue whatsoever if this is detrimental to the hull or not, but after 10 years, nothing appears to have gone wrong.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Bleach wouldn't normally be my choice but there are many frp hot tubs and swim spas out there using chemicals. May be more diluted, but it works for them....just a Thought

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

No problem using bleach on fiberglass as long as you rinse it well and after it dries you must rinse it again.the best thing is to wax it after it has been rinsed the 2nd time.there are many products especially for fiberglass stains,though nothing is cheaper than a little bleach.What exactly are you cleaning with it???Charlie

Old Jarhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boat manufacturers recommend against using cleaners containing bleach.<br /><br />I've heard arguments on both sides but the fact remains that it's not recommened... So I don't use it. :D

22WRF

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On/Off bottom cleaner is primarly sulfuric acid.<br />A little bleach won't hurt the glass.

93bronco

Ensign

i use a diluted bleach and car soap solution to clean boat of dirt, birds, mildew, fish (when i can keep boat running) etc.<br />i was reading in another post where it wasnt recommended.<br />so i just wanted to make sure.<br />the boat looks great after it is cleaned, i usually do it on a rainy day.

Badger99

Seaman Apprentice

I have had good luck making my own brew of pool Chlorine and pool algae killer diluted with a few gallons of water. I use the silver algae killer because it seems to work the best and a few ounces will do a whole boat. It kills Everything that grows on fiberglass. I put it on with a garden pump sprayer and then then pressure wash the boat with clean water about an hour later. I has never harmed any glass or gelcoat and does a great job. It makes sense because they use the stuff on gel coated Hot tubs that are basically the same thing as a boat is made of.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm sure every one knows this, but it is worth repeating here. Never mix chlorine bleach with any product containing ammonia, especially if you are working in an enclosed space. You might end up dead from chlorine gas.<br /><br />Jinx

mattttt25

Commander

on/off for the hull is the best choice out there. no stain stands a chance...<br /><br />as for the inside and nonskid, i use soft scrub with bleach. the best i've been able to find. i haven't noticed any problem with the small amount of bleach in it. i doubt i would use straight bleach on my boat, but not sure why.

MFG197

Petty Officer 1st Class

make sure you rinse well Chlorine Bleach can corrode metal.

Captn Dave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use a bleach/dish washing soap solution for the pre-season cleaning, prior to waxing. Just remember, bleach and/or dish washing soap will remove wax.