Morse Steering Cable Removal

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a pontoon boat whose steering cable has frozen. I am in the process of removing the cable, but I'm not sure how to remove it from the helm. The cable says "Morse 304411" on it. I'm guessing that's a number for the cable, but thought it might help someone identify my steering system.

It looks like I will have to remove the back plate off the helm to remove the cable, if that helps any.

Thanks,

Gary

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Morse Steering Cable Removal

Thanks. I checked the Teleflex site earlier and could not find mine. My Pontoon is a 77 so I'm guessing I have a much older helm.

(Edit: Just dug a little deeper on the Teleflex site. I wasn't looking at the right documents. Looks like I have a NFB 4.2 steering helm.)

I just ended up getting adventurous and took the cover off. Once it was off the cable came right out by turning the wheel.

Now my next question: I think my old cable is too long. The old cable is 14' and the way I measure it I get 13' as the needed length, but I'm not sure I'm measuring to the correct point. I am measuring from the helm to the point where the cable housing screws onto my tilt tube. Is this correct or should I be measuring to another spot?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Call customer service at iboats on how to measure it ;)

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

This handy little PDF from Teleflex may come in handy for a few folks on here...

phipps

Petty Officer 1st Class

This handy little PDF from Teleflex may come in handy for a few folks on here...

That helped a LOT!! I've not seen the diagrams at the bottom that show where to measure to before now.