Using car speakers in a boat

trejac

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Using car speakers in a boat

Asking a head unit to run four speakers at any level over three quaters volume will distort. Last year I did exactly what you are talking about and it worked fine. However, this year I want more...........

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I would think they should work if kept dry, cars have speakers in the back window and that's in the sun.

you have a layer of glass though. Window glass is really good at absorbing almost all short wavelength UV energy.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

polk audio db series... can be had for a very reasonanble price and are marine rated.. they also sound great

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not terribly relevant, but I have a Glastron deckboat with a mid to low end stereo system. The unit has both auto and boat applications. I got one with the auto head and display. Totally unreadable in any bright light (and some difficulty in getting a replacement, but not from Glastron. Hope you can see yours.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

polk audio db series... can be had for a very reasonanble price and are marine rated.. they also sound great

i've used polk db and db2's in numerous sound quality competition car audio systems that i've built. Have never taken lower than a 2nd place finish (only once!) with them.

For boat use they are a little pricey, I run nothing but polk's in my car systems, but go cheaper in the boat.

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

If you want to waterproof your spider baffle get some "waterproof" hairspray, works as well as the laminated versions IMHO. To waterproof the contacts/connectors use silicone grease.

"Marine" speakers are way overpriced to include features that you can duplicate easily with off the shelf products.

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1, I installed a set of Polk DB651's last fall and got a great deal on them. I agree they do sound great, do some internet searches and read the reviews.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

+1, I installed a set of Polk DB651's last fall and got a great deal on them. I agree they do sound great, do some internet searches and read the reviews.

you can still find the 650's on ebay for less money - marine rated and sound just about as good...

the db 651 (6 1/2 in round) can be found for 50-60 a pair on sale and sound outstanding for that kind of money... I kept the ones out of the car I just sold so i could put them into the boat...

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

you can still find the 650's on ebay for less money - marine rated and sound just about as good...

the db 651 (6 1/2 in round) can be found for 50-60 a pair on sale and sound outstanding for that kind of money... I kept the ones out of the car I just sold so i could put them into the boat...

When I was looking couldn't beat the $50 per pair (new/shipped) that I found the DB 651's for. For $100 for a set of four I can't imagine anything that would make me happier.

Some reviews here in case anyone's interested.

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats about 20 more than I am looking to spend... I wish I could, but I need some other items for the boat still and every penny counts. I will not have an amp, I am running a kenwood head unit that is (rms) 25x4

Here are my choices...

4 Cadence Marine 6.5 2 ways with cross overs $80

2 MTX non marine 6x9 3 ways paired with 2 MTX 5.25 2 ways $80

2 MTX 7.7in 2 ways $75

2 Kicker 6.5 components $70

The first 2 appeal more as there will be 4 speakers, but if anyone has any opinions please let me know.

Thanks

Summer Fun

Banned

Over the winter I bought 2 sets of Polk speakers that are marine certified for my tug. :)
I got them from Amazon for $33 bucks a pair with free shipping . :D
They were having a one day only sale on them.
http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-6-..._6?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1273170141&sr=8-6

41Rv3oWBzFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Over the winter I bought 2 sets of Polk speakers that are marine certified for my tug. :)

Yes, those are the DB651's. Congrats you did better than me, I'm still happy though.

Thats about 20 more than I am looking to spend.

You would be better off buying a pair of the Polks then adding another pair when you have the money. Just my opinion, please feel free to buy whatever you want. ;)

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

Honestly, and this comes from someone who has had MANY aftermarket speakers, I'd probably opt for a good pair now and a good pair later when you can afford it.

I mentioned those Focals earlier. Now, whenever I get a new car I keep the stockers, put in the Focals and switch them out again when I sell the car.

Not saying those are the speakers from you, but rather if you get a good set, you keep them...and if you don't, you always wish you would have. :)

Summer Fun

Banned

You would be better off buying a pair of the Polks then adding another pair when you have the money.
I agree !!!. I like mine . :)

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

The first 2 appeal more as there will be 4 speakers, but if anyone has any opinions please let me know.

It pains me to say this, coming from a car audio background, but the more speakers you have, the better! (I used a vastly different approach in car audio!) I added 2 more main 6.5" drivers to my boat this winter, and am very pleased with the results (6-6.5"s total+1-12" sub)

Anyway, reasoning... The more speakers you have, the LOWER you can have the volume set. Everyone is closer to a speaker and the overall volume is lower. Imagine if you only had two speakers. Whoever is sitting near one of those is going to get blasted out, the person furthest away might barely hear it.

In my case, I added two speakers to the seating area up in the bow. Previously the front passengers couldn't hear the mains and would only get an annoying thump from the sub. Now they have their own mains and the sound is really nice and balanced anywhere in the boat.

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am leaning toward the cadence or the MTX, if I buy a more expensive speaker now I will not be buying another pair later. I have a budget for equipment, I don't want to go over it because I am saving for my next boat. This is a 2800 boat and I gave myself 4k total between boat/1 st year maintenance/boat equipment.

Any preference to either 2 of those brands (mtx or cadence). I had some mtx speakers in a vehicle previously and they were decent, but I have not had any experience with cadence.

Thanks

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

I would go with MTX over Cadence, based on reputation and experience.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

I ordered a set of the Kicker KM620.2 components and a pair of Poly Planar 840B box speakers for my boat. They should be here Monday. I'll let you know how the Kickers turn out. I'll drag one of my old PPI Art Series amps from the basement to power the Kickers and let the head unit run the Poly Planars.