What anchor do i need to use for rock bottoms?

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know this sounds pretty dumb but Lake Belton is completely rock bottom and we cannot get an anchor to stick.

Ive tried the guardian style and a semi mushroom type anchor and neither of them do anything but drag across the bottom.

Is there any type of anchor thats better for rock bottoms? Im getting tired of constantly trolling back to the spot where were supposed to be anchored.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What anchor do i need to use for rock bottoms?

Fluke and chene anchor should work as well. Make sure you have enough chain to weigh down the shaft and enough line payed out so the flukes can lay down to dig in.

PDubs

Seaman

Do those work for larger boats as well (25'+)?

KitchenSink

Banned

Do those work for larger boats as well (25'+)?

The more weight you want to hold the more weight you need on the ground. There is a mathematical equation but Im a country boy, get something big and heavy for that big rig man. I mean if the grapple digs in great but I cant promise the things are guna hold 25+ft/5000+lb might sheer off or just pull rock. Need weight man, weight AND teeth.

A really long anchor line helps too. I like Nylon rope because it gives way unlike chain.

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you use a grapple just be sure to rig it as a breakaway. Hook the rope to the front and then use a few zipties to secure the chain to the end of it. That way when you go to leave if it's hung you can break the zip ties and pull it from the front.

That's the best anchor for rocks.

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

I use a 20 lb Navy Anchor in rock with a 21 ft boat. The Fluke types hang up too easily in my experience and also cost more to replace. The 20 lb is a chore to retrieve, but always catches quickly. No substitute for weight.

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat is a 15 ft glasstream bass boat that weighs about 900 with passengers usually.

We went out in the 14 ft lone star the other day with some wind and we could not even get an anchor to stick for that boat.

Looks like im going to try one of the grappling style anchors.

Oh and i always just drop the anchor never understood why some people like to swing it around and launch the thing haha!

Thanks for the advice everybody

marcortez

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here in the hinterlands, the locals use a "grappeling" style anchor fabricated out of 3/8th thick rebar.....kind of like a treble hook only with 4 shanks.

Get stuck?...just motor forward till the rebar bends and it releases.

Tough storing it though.

cr2k

Captain

I was interested in because I have areas of rock to anchor in also.

after reading and considering the options I like the NAVY Anchor. I don't think for rocks it would have to be that heavy as it should settle in to the crevices in the rocks and grab something, yet being of a rounder, smoother design it looks like it will retrieve easier, even if motoring it out is needed. I used my fluke in some rocks and had to leave it and come back later to really motor it out. But works good at the sandy beaches.