• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What anchor do i need to use for rock bottoms?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What anchor do i need to use for rock bottoms?

I know this sounds pretty dumb but Lake Belton is completely rock bottom and we cannot get an anchor to stick.

Ive tried the guardian style and a semi mushroom type anchor and neither of them do anything but drag across the bottom.

Is there any type of anchor thats better for rock bottoms? Im getting tired of constantly trolling back to the spot where were supposed to be anchored.
    Malibu Skier.

Re: What anchor do i need to use for rock bottoms?

Grappling Anchors maybe?
    "Just Chillin" 1995 Donzi 275 Medallion Merc 7.4 I/O Bravo 3
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scutly View Post

Thats what we use. Works good. How much weight are you trying to keep put? How deep is it? I would recommend a Richter heavy grapple, drop it dont throw it.

Good luck man

Comment

Fluke and chene anchor should work as well. Make sure you have enough chain to weigh down the shaft and enough line payed out so the flukes can lay down to dig in.
        '76 Fiberform Custom 18
        Volvo AQ130D/280

Comment

Do those work for larger boats as well (25'+)?

Comment

Originally posted by PDubs View Post
            Do those work for larger boats as well (25'+)?
            The more weight you want to hold the more weight you need on the ground. There is a mathematical equation but Im a country boy, get something big and heavy for that big rig man. I mean if the grapple digs in great but I cant promise the things are guna hold 25+ft/5000+lb might sheer off or just pull rock. Need weight man, weight AND teeth.

A really long anchor line helps too. I like Nylon rope because it gives way unlike chain.

Comment

If you use a grapple just be sure to rig it as a breakaway. Hook the rope to the front and then use a few zipties to secure the chain to the end of it. That way when you go to leave if it's hung you can break the zip ties and pull it from the front.

That's the best anchor for rocks.
              2008 Sea-Pro SV1900CC with 150 Optimax

Comment

I use a 20 lb Navy Anchor in rock with a 21 ft boat. The Fluke types hang up too easily in my experience and also cost more to replace. The 20 lb is a chore to retrieve, but always catches quickly. No substitute for weight.
                Bryant 214 Limited/FI 5.7
                Ranger 1850VS/Yamaha F150

Comment

The boat is a 15 ft glasstream bass boat that weighs about 900 with passengers usually.

We went out in the 14 ft lone star the other day with some wind and we could not even get an anchor to stick for that boat.

Looks like im going to try one of the grappling style anchors.

Oh and i always just drop the anchor never understood why some people like to swing it around and launch the thing haha!

Thanks for the advice everybody
                  Malibu Skier.

Comment

Here in the hinterlands, the locals use a "grappeling" style anchor fabricated out of 3/8th thick rebar.....kind of like a treble hook only with 4 shanks.

Get stuck?...just motor forward till the rebar bends and it releases.

Tough storing it though.

Comment

I was interested in because I have areas of rock to anchor in also.

after reading and considering the options I like the NAVY Anchor. I don't think for rocks it would have to be that heavy as it should settle in to the crevices in the rocks and grab something, yet being of a rounder, smoother design it looks like it will retrieve easier, even if motoring it out is needed. I used my fluke in some rocks and had to leave it and come back later to really motor it out. But works good at the sandy beaches.
                      When will people learn that impellers require regular
                      replacement and are not drive it till it pukes items?

1984 Regal Medallion 195
                      3.8 V-6 with the dreaded
                      OMC Stringer Drive.
                      2003 Avalanche w/Hypertech

If it ain't fixable - don't break it!

Comment

Working...
                      X