Transom Hole ID

saumon

Lieutenant
Re: Transom Hole ID

Right: bilge drain (that's where the plug goes)
Left: possibly livewell/aerator pump (you could put a screen on that one)

Philster

Captain

Whatever its function, such as an intake for a live well (hence the screen recommendation above), it appears to be missing a fitting, which would work towards the destruction of the transom/hull/material. Water should not be getting to the wood structure... although it appears it has.

I sure hope it isn't missing a fitting, and if it is... I sure hope it wasn't used much without one. That could have been the death sentence for that transom.

I wonder if the transom is wet/rotting....

saumon

Lieutenant

Whatever its function, such as an intake for a live well (hence the screen recommendation above), it appears to be missing a fitting, which would work towards the destruction of the transom/hull/material. Water should not be getting to the wood structure... although it appears it has.

I sure hope it isn't missing a fitting, and if it is... I sure hope it wasn't used much without one. That could have been the death sentence for that transom.

I wonder if the transom is wet/rotting....

He's right!

Anyway, the only sure way to know will be to crawl inside the bilge. Sometimes it could be a hell of a tight fit there, and messy too. Bring a mag-lite and wear your older shirt!

woody619

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This forum and you guys are awesome... I'll go take a look and crawl down there...

Philster

Captain

Peeking into the bilge is nice, but you need to inspect the actual hole and structure around the hole, because it's right there where you are looking for what appears to be trouble. Poke at the hole/area and see if she is wet and rotting.

You might want to press into the structure/hole with a small screw driver. It might be deteriorating, and someone else would have to chime in to advise you as to how bad it is (and how to tell) if it's a death sentence for the transom or something else.

Crawling down into the bilge might help you see where this hole goes, but without a fitting on that hole, it probably doesn't connect to anything (since it can't).

Inspect the hole. You can accomplish that outside the boat. Inspect; poke around; report back on findings.

woody619

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will inspect and report, just got this boat.

It's a sea ray, now I just gotta figure out how to get down there... hahah

Thanks

Philster

Captain

How to get down there:

• Locate yourself outside of boat
  • Stand at back of boat.
  • Face stern/transom of boat.
  • Kneel down.
  • Tilt head at approximately a 45-degree downward angle.
  • Pan your head back and forth until two openings in the bottom of the transom are located.
  • Focus on opening that is left of center.
Proceed to poke in and around with device such as:
  • Finger
  • Wire
  • Screwdriver
  • Butter Knife

You don't need to get in the boat................. yet.

98TahoeQ5

Recruit

I don't mean to highjack your thread but I have the same exact setup on a 1998 Tahoe Q5 I just bought. Before I launch it I wanted to find out the same thing. I do not have a livewell, are there any other ideas on what it could be for. thanks.

1998 Tracker Tahoe Q5
19 ft. V8 Mercruiser

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

SCARY! You put your plug in the bilge hole before you launch your boat. When you pull the boat out you can drain the bilge water by removing the plug. As for the other hole alot of times, yes it's for a live well or washdown water intake. Is it open to the bilge on the inside? Hopefully, as Plil said the woods not rotten between the fiberglass skins(core). If the woods ok you need to get a transom thru hull fitting like the other hole has and a plug.

woody619

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, I felt around in there and the hull seems solid, nothing was rotting or falling apart. whew. Looks like I need to pickup a thru hull fitting or connect a livewell to it before I put it in the water. Kinda weird that there's nothing there though. Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If you are not going to use that hole..... get a wooden dowel the same size and pound it in the hole....... countersink the dowel by about a 1/8" and then use epoxy or 3m 5200 on the outside to seal it up. You want to stop the water intrusion there ;)

woody619

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Will do! Thanks for the great info guys! It looks rotted, because a half *** paint job... man, I'll post a picture of the paint job later... it has dolphins on it :) hahah... it's my first boat, can't wait to get it in the water

IMG00029-20100424-1321.jpg