Triton 186TR Livewell Operation

jumpinjimmie

Recruit
I have a 2005 Triton 186TR and am not smart enough to figure out how to keep water out of the livewells while on the water. Is there a particular position for the rocker switches to prevent them from filling?

Also, I have discovered a triangular-shaped handle located below the passenger seat. It is attached to a strap that will pull out about a foot. when it is turned loose, it retracts. I can't find anything that it opens, shuts or releases in any way. Please help.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Triton 186TR Livewell Operation

The reason you have water in the livewell is very likely that the drain is below the water line as is the livewell itself. Water simply flows up the drain until the level in the livewell is the same as the level outside the boat. The actual water level may be anything from just wet to several inches. The trick is to get on plane so the livewell drains, then have someone insert the plug or standpipe. This is the dumbest design I've ever seen and when I had one, I changed it to a "pump out system". I installed another pump in the drain line at the stern, then plumbed the outlet of the pump over the transom via a Tee in the drain going out the transom. The thru-hull fitting was threaded with a brass pipe plug that I heated and threaded into the fitting to seal it. To winterize the system I just remove the plug to ensure no water is laying in the pump or drain line.