livewell pump in 02 Hurricane 201 deckboat

Jim Kirkham

Recruit
can anyone tell me where the....my pump for the livewell located? Changed the breaker, changed the switch, next change would be the actual pump but i cannot find it????

also anyone know where i can get a manual on this boat? Local hurricane dealer says not available

thx jimk 4-24-10

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: livewell pump in 02 Hurricane 201 deckboat

If the dealer says not available it is probably not available and even if it was, Owners manuals are safety related and other than that they generally contain little to no useful information about the boat. Livewell pumps are usually located in the bilge with the inlet to the pump sticking through the transom. So the first step is to look at the back of the boat. You should find a minimum of three holes near the keel. One is the Garboard drain which should have a plug in it (unless you want the boat to sink). The other two are the pump inlet and the livewell drain. The pump will be located in the bilge, near the transom and connected to or part of one of the two through hull fittings. The inlet may even have a screen over it to avoid sucking in debris. Once again, ALWAYS troubleshoot the problem before you start throwing parts at a problem. Switches are rarely the issue with electrical problems. Bad wiring and bad grounds normally are the issue. Everything in that system can be tested with a very simple test light or a basic multi-tester.

Jim Kirkham

Recruit

hey Silvertip, thanks for the input...still cannot find the pump...find a bilge w/ water level actuator but no other pump. wondering now if it's just not in the boat?

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

if its not in the boat that would explain why its not working :D hehehe sorry couldnt help myself....

willhane

Banned

Jim,
Silvertip is correct. It is in the bilge, close to the bilge pump. It is likely your problem. Mine went out within 6 months of purchasing the boat. The problem is that you can't get to it to remove it for replacement. A very small person could go in where the batteries are but it is tight. The dealer told me that it might be possible to reach it through the inlets in front of the engine. Mine has now lost use of most all gauges on the dash. Pretty sorry electrical/pump systems!!!

Jim Kirkham

Recruit

Thx Wilhane (and u too Relocyo)
my boat is almost back to like-new after many weeks of much work. u are correct the electrical system on the Hurricane leaves a lot to be desired but preventative maintenance usually pays off...something the prevuious owner of my boat did not believe in...

Jim Kirkham

Recruit

Thx Guys for the input to my delima (finally found the livewell pump) and replaced it with a new one. A great experience...i'm thinking about going into business specializing in livewell pump replacement on Hurricane Deck Boats. Should be worth at least 4-5 thousand bucks plus parts, misc expenses and hospital visits.
Jimk

Jim -
Just out of curiousity, what pump did you use? The pump in our brand new 2005 226 FF was feeble from the beginning, it lasted for just over a year of saltwater use before it died; I swapped it out for a Shurflo Baitsentry 1100. It mated right up to the existing seacock at the thruhull. We have had awesome results, good flow keeps everything alive (we use the livewell to hold our just caught fish and shellfish) and low amp draw -- I can leave the pump running all night and still get an engine start (albeit weak) out of the battery (I do have dual batteries just in case!). However the pump is starting to make noise and lose flow after 5 seasons of heavy use (still has never clogged!). For $90 I think that is pretty good, does anyone have a livewell pump that has lasted longer?

p.s. I feel your pain on the access issue. Without taking the outboard off, I have to hang upside down over the rail next to the tow pole to reach into the bilge to access either the bilge pump or the livewell pump through one of the two 8" access ports. Its definitely not easy!

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Now I know where the term "monkeywrench" originated. I sure need one too to get to my dead washdown pump:eek: