paddle boat law in california

fishinjeeper

Recruit
Hi all, I have a question regarding a 4 person paddle boat. The attached picture is the exact boat I have aquired. I'm heading to a mountain lake for a weekend of fishing and was wondering what the laws about these boats. I know life jackets are a must, but is there anything else? Do i need a CF number? Also since this is not a motorized boat, what are the laws regarding alcohol consumption on this boat. Are there any laws against it?

Thanks,
Drew

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: paddle boat law in california

No CF # required unless it's powered by diesel, gas or electric battery motors.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

No CF-number unless powered (someone already said that).

According to DMV, as I read it, drinking while operating a paddleboat would (or could) be A BUI:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/appndxa/harbnav/harnav655.htm

(Or more specifically, as I read it, operating with an open container or smelling of booze gets you tested, testing 0.05-0.08 is suspicion of BUI, and 0.08+ is BUI)

Unlike ground-based transportation, where CA differentiates between a motor-powered and human-powered vehicle (e.g., bicycle), the use of the word "vessel" and no mention of power source seems to put paddleboat in the same class as motorboat or sailboat.

What's more, certain areas (such as San Diego Beaches) have recently re-worded their ordinances to go after people who try to circumvent the beach alcohol bans by floating on tubes just off the beach and drinking. That'd be a big fine. May want to check with the lake (or local authorities) or whatever Park it may be a part of on such ordinances.

EDIT: yes, a paddleboat is a "vessel":
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/boatsinfo/boatreg.htm

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

When using a paddleboat for water skiing you must have a watcher too!! :D

fishinjeeper

Recruit

I expect you can. You can also get yourself and the others on the boat killed.

Good luck with all that.

Thanks, i will. becuase moving a half a mile an hour in a paddle boat to get 40 feet off the shore to go fishing in a lake thats non-motorized boats is real dangerous....

No CF-number unless powered (someone already said that).

According to DMV, as I read it, drinking while operating a paddleboat would (or could) be A BUI:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/appndxa/harbnav/harnav655.htm

(Or more specifically, as I read it, operating with an open container or smelling of booze gets you tested, testing 0.05-0.08 is suspicion of BUI, and 0.08+ is BUI)

Unlike ground-based transportation, where CA differentiates between a motor-powered and human-powered vehicle (e.g., bicycle), the use of the word "vessel" and no mention of power source seems to put paddleboat in the same class as motorboat or sailboat.

What's more, certain areas (such as San Diego Beaches) have recently re-worded their ordinances to go after people who try to circumvent the beach alcohol bans by floating on tubes just off the beach and drinking. That'd be a big fine. May want to check with the lake (or local authorities) or whatever Park it may be a part of on such ordinances.

EDIT: yes, a paddleboat is a "vessel":
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/boatsinfo/boatreg.htm

Thank you for your info.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Paddle boat:

p2002_032_a50f.jpg

or Pedal boat:

pedal_boat1.jpg

QC

Supreme Mariner

Just messin' with a fellow Californian. Welcome aboard :)

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, i will. becuase moving a half a mile an hour in a paddle boat to get 40 feet off the shore to go fishing in a lake thats non-motorized boats is real dangerous....

Thank you for your info.

What if you drunkenly kick the pedal the wrong way due to your intoxication, causing the boat to spin around slowly! A small child standing precariously on the edge could lose his balance and fall into the water! Think of the CHILDREN! :D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

operating with an open container or smelling of booze gets you tested,

beach alcohol bans

?????

you have got to be kidding

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

beach alcohol bans
?????

was thinking the same thing... hasn't california slide off the edge yet? (just kidding, great place to visit, do it a couple times a year, couldn't pay me to live there.)

<---- can drink on any beach I want, and I wave to game wardens with beer in hand!

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

beach alcohol bans

?????

Not kidding.

Personally, I am not opposed to the idea of open container spotted in hand while operating (or spotted in boat if you are alone) getting you tested. That's just common sense.

As to beach alcohol bans: yes, they've gone overboard with that. There are plenty of public intoxication laws already without having to go zero tolerance. The main problem seems to be college kids and biker types getting rowdy in front of people's beachfront McMansions.
(And it's not all beaches, just the McMansion-fronted ones.)