Livingston Boats any good?

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hello guys,

Since my ranger restore project went south, I have been looking for a cheap little boat just to fish in on the lake this summer. I have opted for somethig i can strap to the top of my jeep, and take camping with us this summer.

I am currently looking at buying a little 8ft livingston for $200. It is in good shape and has new foam in it.

My question is, are livingston's any good? i have never been in one or fished out of one. I know 8ft is small, but do you think it is big enough for 2?

My other option is a 10' Jon Boat. I used to have one and liked it. Which on would you guys choose?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Livingston Boats any good?

I don't think I'd get in an 8ft boat by myself!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well i just found a 12ft livingston for $170 i am going to go pickup in a couple hours.

I think that is a better deal than a 8ft.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

All Livingstons are made about the same, thin and light. The main problem is the keels (a cat design) are thin and will wear through very fast, this isn't that big of a deal because the repair is easy. I re-glassed over each hull section and built up the keel area a bit thicker. The water-tight compartments tend to fill with water, I just drilled holes in mine so they would drain.

I've been out three miles off the west coast of Vancouver Island in my 8 footer, for a small boat they handle bigger water fairly well.

OhopJoe

Cadet

All Livingstons are made about the same, thin and light. The main problem is the keels (a cat design) are thin and will wear through very fast, this isn't that big of a deal because the repair is easy. I re-glassed over each hull section and built up the keel area a bit thicker. The water-tight compartments tend to fill with water, I just drilled holes in mine so they would drain.

I've been out three miles off the west coast of Vancouver Island in my 8 footer, for a small boat they handle bigger water fairly well.

I have a 10 footer, same problem with the water in the floatation, drilled a hole, drained and patched up again. If it fills up again, I guess I'll just get a drain plug for it. Lol

That's pretty ballsy to take an 8 footer out of the west coast of Vancover Island. I took my previous 8 footer into Hood Canal, WA a few time and was debating to take my 10 footer out of Puget Sound this summer or not. I guess, It's not too much to ask from those little catamarans.