Putting a EYE in your hollow core rope

rbh

Fleet Admiral
I thought this may help someone if they have never done this before.

cut off the old frayed end or the knot eye

P1000338.jpg

tape tip of rope up to a tight pointy tip with electrical tape

P1000341.jpg

Now to make the eye you need twice the eye down the core "Approx" plus two runs through the rope. If you do not have a fid, use a pen to open up the weave

P1000342.jpg

P1000343.jpg

now feed the rope through the center, push and pull on the outside braid

P1000344.jpg

and here is your eye

P1000345.jpg

(you can also use this method to splice two ropes together, just do not make the eye and follow through the weaving on both sides.)

Last edited:

shuswap119

Seaman
Re: Putting a EYE in your hollow core rope

hey rbh,

Thanks for the info with the pics, makes it look easy :)

cr2k

Captain

The pen works, but it is easier with a Dibble and they are very cheap.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Pretty neat. I can't quite figure out how you finished it (going from the last pic to the first). Can you explain that to the ignorant?

I'd like to get this down, as I'd typically just tie a bowline in the thing and be done with it :)

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Pretty neat. I can't quite figure out how you finished it (going from the last pic to the first). Can you explain that to the ignorant?

I'd like to get this down, as I'd typically just tie a bowline in the thing and be done with it :)

Since the core of the rope is hollow you need to work the excess (tail) rope down into it, its alittle like one of those chinese finger puzzles, when you push the core/rope together, the center hole gets bigger, when you pull on the rope the core tightens up, use a push movement for the tail, as well as the rope to expand the core and get the ropes tail down it, then using your thump and fore finger clamp the end of the rope thats in the core, and move the bunched slack back towards the eye.
your finnished when the tail is all the way in and you have pulled all the excess rope/outer skin over the tail section.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Ah! Great description. Got it, thanks.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I prefer to melt the end of the rope, electrical tape braks down in the sun and the adhesive gets all over the rope.

$.02 worth

Yes I hate that sticky goo feeling when tape comes off, but if you dont have a fid (or even if you do) the tape is only there to compress the end and give it a point, You could dig out the end and remove it i guess, but its stuck inside the rope. :)

UncleWillie

Captain
I hate to be the party pooper here.

I congratulate you for taking the incentive. :encouragement:
BOO on me, and Kudos to you. :joyous:

What you are demonstrating is a "Brummel" Splice , Almost!

Instead of pulling the short end through the long end twice, each of the long and short ends pass through each other once.
This allows the the two crossovers and the tail bury to slide into each other and avoid the two open loops below the eye.

What you have will function just fine, the Brummels makes the splice completely disappear.

Fun Times

Staff member
Seeing your knot reminds me of seeing these two photos recently online,:cool:
attachment.php

attachment.php

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Since I'm a granny-knotter, all those knots look fabulous. I have a couple of too short dock lines that I'll have to try spicing to make longer. They won't look as good! :blue:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I am always interested in such knot tying abilities. I do have one question because I seriously don't know, is the finished product (loop) woven back into itself as strong as the rope itself then? In other words can you actually pull something with that looped end after it is finished? :noidea:

alldodge

Staff member
The Brummel also makes it just a tad stronger due to one pulls tight against the other, by each end being passed through each end. That said hollow line it's not expected to hold a lot, great post, I like it :thumb:

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain
I am always interested in such knot tying abilities. I do have one question because I seriously don't know, is the finished product (loop) woven back into itself as strong as the rope itself then? In other words can you actually pull something with that looped end after it is finished? :noidea:

Absolutely! A properly spliced eye will be 90%+ the strength of the rope itself.
The simple knot shown in the very first picture might be 75% the strength.

If I consider that the breaking strength of 3/8 Nylon rope is over 3000lbs,
I could feasible hang my 2500lb boat in the air from the bow eye with one piece of the anchor line. Not Going to happen!

Maximum recommended working strength is about 10% of the breaking strength.
So the fact that your sliced 3000lb rope might break at 2700lbs become a non issue if you never load it over 300lbs.
As far as a practical concern, a spliced rope can be treated, (But not mistreated), as having full strength.
Climbers bet their lives on it everyday.

Last edited:

fishrdan

Admiral
Here's a tip to get rid of the "bump" at the end of the splice, when the splice is complete, push the tag end up the main line 6" and out, then taper cut the tag end over 2". Instead of taper cutting, you can also selectively cut a portion of the fiber bundles to taper the tag - at .75" cut 3/4 of the fibers, - at 1.5" cut 1/2 the fibers, at 2" cut 1/4 of the fibers.

Seeing your knot reminds me of seeing these two photos recently online,:cool:
attachment.php

attachment.php

That's inside the USS Midway museum, saw it last year while down in San Diego, pretty friggin cool!