Repairing vinyl Seats

jetmart

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My seats are in very good condition but I have a couple of spots where it is starting to split right at the stitch line. Is there anything I can do to close it up or prevent the tear from getting bigger. Right now the 2 spots are only 1" long now.

Also the back seat has WELLCRAFT stitched into it and the C is starting to tear away.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Repairing vinyl Seats

I wish there was a way to prevent small rips from becoming big ones. After 30 years of owning boats the only thing I know to do is delay the inevitable with off-the-shelf vinyl repair kits and glues. The "inevitable" is to remove & replace bad sections of the seats, or have them completely reupholstered.

Also: Keep them dry! If you allow water to penetrate inside, it has nowhere to go. The foam gets soaked and moldy and the wood rots. It happens very quickly.

It started yesterday with me thinking -- once again -- that I could repair a few rips in a seat from my '87 Carver. It quickly turned into a garage full of rotted wood, moldy foam, dried-out vinyl, and crumbling plastic.

iboatseats.jpg

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Take it from an upholsterer. The vinyl repairs kits are useless!

Take the seat to an upholstery shop and have it resewn with UV resistant thread. If you want to save a few bucks, you can remove and/or reinstall the cover yourself. But, you would have to have the right pneumatic gun with stainless steel staples. Maybe remove it, have them sew and reintall it. Should run $20-30, depending on the shop.

As long as the cover is off, have every seam restitched. It only takes a few minutes.

As far as the "C" in WellCraft goes, there usually isn't anything you can do about that. However, the upholstery shop can probably put a coating of 'Fray Check' on it so it doesn't get any worse.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

P.S.

If you have wood seat bottoms, there are a few things you can do to ward off rot.

1) Drill 1" holes in the seat bottoms. A 14" x 18" seat would have 3-4 of these holes. This lets water out and air in to help dry things out.

2) Use "Slip Ease" over the foam and wood. this is a clear plastic (think Cling Wrap) that keeps any water that gets through the cover from getting to the foam. This is wrapped all the way around the foam and wood. Water gets in, beads off of the Slip Ease and runs out the holes in the bottom.

3) Seats that aren't bolted down (Or otherwise easily removed) should be taken off at the end of the boating day and stored vertically. This allows any trapped water to drain out.

As long as you have the cover taken off of the seats, consider replacing the wooden base with a Star Board type of plastic sheeting.

Personally, I like wood. It's the only thing I can think of that will rot as well as burn! :eek::D

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I have a few alternatives to what has already been suggested.

You could do like I do on my vinyl snowmobile seats. I just baseball stitch the tear using braided fishing line (about 17 LB test) and then seal with vinyl adhesive. Works great but is visible. I have done this type of repair on tears at factory seams and also away from seams. Holds up very well and does not require removing the cover. I use a curved needle that you can get at a fabric type store. They sell the needles in a "repair kit".

On another snowmobile seat that had a long tear I removed the cover and ironed an iron on denim patch across the tear on the inside of the cover. This provided the strength for the repair. I then re-attached it and used a vinyl repair kit to fill and fair the exposed side of the vinyl. This provided just a cosmetic repair to the vinyl. I have only done this repair in the middle of a panel and not at a seam. This repair is virtually invisible when done. The vinyl repair kit I used was the type that has a small iron and heat setting colors for the patch.

Hope this helps.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

You can suture the seat from the top side as long as you understand that it is a visible repair. As I am in the upholstery business, I am one for wanting it done correctly and invisible. It really isn't that tough or expensive.

As far as a mid-panel repair, the iron on patch from underneath is the the quickest fix. It also is visible, but not offensive. Get the low heat setting patches as anything with higher heat will melt the vinyl. But then again, if you have the seat off to place a patch, just get it fixed right.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

You can suture the seat from the top side as long as you understand that it is a visible repair. As I am in the upholstery business, I am one for wanting it done correctly and invisible. It really isn't that tough or expensive.

As far as a mid-panel repair, the iron on patch from underneath is the the quickest fix. It also is visible, but not offensive. Get the low heat setting patches as anything with higher heat will melt the vinyl. But then again, if you have the seat off to place a patch, just get it fixed right.

100% agree. The absolute best way to repair is going to be to replicate what was originally done. In the case of tears that will generally involve replacing that panel. Blown seams would be re-stitching. I guess for me I would say you would need to do a value assessment of the repair and how much you can do yourself. If you are capable of removing the cover yourself and re-attaching it later then that will reduce the out of pocket cost in return for more of your time invested. The absolute easiest thing to do would be to drive the boat to an upholstery shop and have them take a look and give an estimate. No harm no foul.

To clarify some information from my previous snowmobile example cases:

The suture repairs were done mid-season and provided the quickest way to get back in business. For this repair you have to understand that the seat and fuel tank on the particular snowmobiles in question are attached to each other and removing the cover involves draining the tank, removing stuff to access fuel fittings, and removing the tank/seat. When on a trip you don't have the time to mess with this, but a suture repair in 5 minutes to prevent the tear from spreading is doable. Keep in mind that in my case these were black seats with black sutures to repair so weren't all that noticeable anyway. Rips in my snowmobile seats happen due to boot snags, trees, rolling the sled upside down, etc. (I ride hard :D:D), so the seat isn't coming off just for a small tear.

The large tear that I repaired was about 12 inches long and mid-panel on a snowmobile that I purchased. I bought it that way. Had this been my machine the tear would have been stopped when it was small. Anyway, the quickest and easiest repair for this one definitely would have been to replace the cover which would have only cost me about $130 for a new one. This repair would have required a replacement of the ripped panel. A friend of mine had a panel replaced on his snowmobile seat and it cost him $70. Sounded a bit high to me when you can get a complete new cover for $130. Anyway, I did the iron on patch repair because I had all of the materials on hand and it didn't cost me anything to give it a try. I decided to try it and if it worked I saved $70 to $130. Rode the repaired seat for 2 trips this year and so far so good.

Both the iron on repair and the suture repair are visible, but the iron on repair with the tear filled on the visible side is only visible in that the color match of the filled crack isn't perfect. Other than that you can't see it.

As I said, it comes down to a value assessment in both hours required and $$ for me. I don't know exactly what kind or condition of boat we are talking about. I assume it is a pretty nice boat. I would be inclined to have a upholstery shop do the repairs if we are talking about a $20,000 boat, but if it is a $2,000 boat the value assessment changes.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I was out in my barn and figured I would snap a couple pictures of the seat I have been talking about. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of a suture repair because I sold the machine I had done those to. The following pictures show the big tear in the seat when I bought it and the after repair pictures. Like I said before the easier route would have been to order a new cover but I decided to try this first.

As you can see in this first picture the tear went completely across the seat and had opened up. The foam underneath was also torn.

IMG_0138.jpg

The second picture shows the seat after the foam was repaired and the cover had the iron on material applied to the back side and the cover re-attached. As you can see it is still very visible at this point.

IMG_0185.jpg

In the third picture the tear has been filled with the vinyl repair kit using the heat set filler and iron. The repair is still visible but much less than before. For some photographic reason that I can't explain the repair looks better in person than what the picture shows. What makes it visible is a slight difference in the color of the repair filler.

IMG_1849.jpg

Incidentally, for tears in the seat foam, I have found that 3M 77 spray adhesive bonds the foam well. It makes a bonded joint that is stronger than the surrounding foam. For the foam repair above I also spray glued a piece of fabric over the split to reinforce it. That is just an aside if you happen to need to repair any foam in your boat.

As Fireman431 said and I agree, this type of repair isn't the best way to repair a boat (or snowmobile) seat, but is an option depending on the circumstances. Hope this helps someone.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Not a bad repair for an after market kit. It should hold you over until it can be recovered. Below is the seat out of a friends mini-truck. It was torn and the foam was degraded.

Like I say, if you're gonna do it, do it right. :cool:

Attachments

• JCSeat1.jpg
    JCSeat1.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 0

Bradley42

Recruit
Just wondering where Fireman 431 is located. I had what I thought was a simple repair (a small seam had come apart about 5 inches on a seat) and a local upholsterer wanted to charge about $100 more than buying a new seat would cost. His bill was going to be around $450. I'd be glad to give Fireman 431 the business if he's anywhere near me.

Bradley42

Recruit
Just wondering where Fireman 431 is located. I had what I thought was a simple repair (a small seam had come apart about 5 inches on a seat) and a local upholsterer wanted to charge about $100 more than buying a new seat would cost. His bill was going to be around $450. I'd be glad to give Fireman 431 the business if he's anywhere near me.:)

slag

Chief Petty Officer

Take it from an upholsterer. The vinyl repairs kits are useless!

Take the seat to an upholstery shop and have it resewn with UV resistant thread. If you want to save a few bucks, you can remove and/or reinstall the cover yourself. But, you would have to have the right pneumatic gun with stainless steel staples. Maybe remove it, have them sew and reintall it. Should run $20-30, depending on the shop.

As long as the cover is off, have every seam restitched. It only takes a few minutes.

As far as the "C" in WellCraft goes, there usually isn't anything you can do about that. However, the upholstery shop can probably put a coating of 'Fray Check' on it so it doesn't get any worse.

I would suggest monel over stainless steel and a hand operated T50 works perfectly. I just rebuilt a sundeck/engine cover on the wellcraft and the T50 drove the staples in perfectly.

slag

Chief Petty Officer
doh.. sorry, i dont look at the dates, just what is at the top of the list.