Mounting seats in my fibreglass boat

CaptainRonn

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought an old 16ft fibreglass boat last fall (actually a shell) and now i need to install the seats, but the whole floor is raised and fibreglassed, do i just screw it to the floor or do i have to find the studs and if so do they run widthwise and is there a standerdized pattern, for example, every 1 foot, the floor looks like it would have been done in the factory and not by one of the previous owners.

Once again thanks to all who take the time to answer my questions it is greatly appreciated

dedios

Cadet
Re: Mounting seats in my fibreglass boat

Good luck with that and let me know when someone provides good info. as I will be facing that same situation. Sorry I can't help I don't have the know how.

CaptainRonn

Seaman Apprentice

HAHA, This thing seemed great until I realized I didnt know what I was doing, but ya Ill keep you informed

CaptainRonn

Seaman Apprentice

My seats are back to back double seaters, rectangular in shape the base is aprox. 3ft X 2ft. so basically if I put 5 screws down each side of each seat I should be good?

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

Hmm, typically those seats are made to pull out and folde flat. If you want to post a picture of the boxes I am sure someone can give you a better idea of how to mount them.

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

L brackets from the local hardware store against the bottom of the box. 2 in the front 2 in the back and you should be good. make sure you dont drill through the hull with too long of screws though.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

My seat bases for my back to back seats are fiberglassed to the floor. its pretty easy to do and then you can just carpet over the glass. If i ran screws down the sides of my seat bases, I would go thru the hull.

dedios

Cadet

I'm wondering...would it be a good idea to silicone over top of the screws or mounting hardware in-oder not have water penetrate under the deck? Just wondering?

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

I would use some 3M 5200 on the bolts/lag screws if you screw them into the deck. If you go that way, make sure you use a washer and get a good extrusion all around it.