• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mounting seats in my fibreglass boat

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mounting seats in my fibreglass boat

I just bought an old 16ft fibreglass boat last fall (actually a shell) and now i need to install the seats, but the whole floor is raised and fibreglassed, do i just screw it to the floor or do i have to find the studs and if so do they run widthwise and is there a standerdized pattern, for example, every 1 foot, the floor looks like it would have been done in the factory and not by one of the previous owners.

Once again thanks to all who take the time to answer my questions it is greatly appreciated

Re: Mounting seats in my fibreglass boat

Good luck with that and let me know when someone provides good info. as I will be facing that same situation. Sorry I can't help I don't have the know how.

Comment

HAHA, This thing seemed great until I realized I didnt know what I was doing, but ya Ill keep you informed

Comment

I replaced the seats in my Canadian boat. Went from the lounge seats to pedestal seats. BUY GOOD pedestals. You should have a minimum of 6 or 8 screws and you will be fine as long as you do not have a rotted floor. You can buy them here at I boats.

http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Seat-Base...view_id.474045
        The reason I do what I do is in the avatar above.

Comment

My seats are back to back double seaters, rectangular in shape the base is aprox. 3ft X 2ft. so basically if I put 5 screws down each side of each seat I should be good?

Comment

Hmm, typically those seats are made to pull out and folde flat. If you want to post a picture of the boxes I am sure someone can give you a better idea of how to mount them.
            1988 Maxum 2000SR
            Mercruiser 3.0
            Alpha 1 s/n: 6415065

Comment

L brackets from the local hardware store against the bottom of the box. 2 in the front 2 in the back and you should be good. make sure you dont drill through the hull with too long of screws though.

Comment

My seat bases for my back to back seats are fiberglassed to the floor. its pretty easy to do and then you can just carpet over the glass. If i ran screws down the sides of my seat bases, I would go thru the hull.
                Samuel Adams. Always A Good Decision.
                1987 5.0 OMC capri 1950CX bowrider, 3 bow 6 ft. Westland bimini
                sigpic

Comment

I'm wondering...would it be a good idea to silicone over top of the screws or mounting hardware in-oder not have water penetrate under the deck? Just wondering?

Comment

I would use some 3M 5200 on the bolts/lag screws if you screw them into the deck. If you go that way, make sure you use a washer and get a good extrusion all around it.

Comment

Working...
                    X