beeping noise when key is turned on

Frankiea87

Petty Officer 3rd Class
hey.. i noticed a lot of boats around me make a beeping noise right before their boats start when key is in the ON position.. (kind of like a diesal truck with their glow plugs)... i have a 1987 sea ray seville 165 mercruiser alpha one drive.... i was wondering why mine doesnt make that beeping noise?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: beeping noise when key is turned on

Ayuh,... Because it was built in the Pre-beeper days...

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

hey.. i noticed a lot of boats around me make a beeping noise right before their boats start when key is in the ON position.. (kind of like a diesal truck with their glow plugs)... i have a 1987 sea ray seville 165 mercruiser alpha one drive.... i was wondering why mine doesnt make that beeping noise?

With the addition of a couple of engine switches, and a helm buzzer, you could have the warning system.

There is even a universal complete kit somewhere here on iboats...I'll go look.

Happy boating!

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Here it is:

http://www.iboats.com/Cole-Hersee-M...719998935--**********.733759524--view_id.3876

i4pijm.jpg

Frankiea87

Petty Officer 3rd Class

idc to have it i was just wondering... what does it do?

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

you may notice the boats are I/O ... it is a blower alarm...to remind you to turn the blower on before lighting the engine up...the blower clears gas fumes from under engine cover ( EXPLOSION )..... ;)

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

The engine warning system sounds the alarm until it senses oil pressure (around 4psi)...and when running will sound if the engine temperature reaches 200 or the oil pressure falls off. Later Mercruisers can also monitor the drive lube level...but the oil pressure and the engine temp are the basic things that you want to monitor.

The above kit does both of those.

Happy boating!

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I have actually always wondered why it didn't turn the blower on and beep until good to go...hmmmm..... :confused:

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I have actually always wondered why it didn't turn the blower on and beep until good to go...hmmmm..... :confused:

Probably because bilge blowers are the responsibility of the boat manufacturer and can come in all kinds of flavors...the engine warning system is part of the Mercruiser package, and the engine harness usually has the wires even if the system isn't installed.

My boat's engine harness had all of the warning system wires and just needed to get the engine switches put in place. Easy fix...and well worth the peace of mind!

Happy boating!

cr2k

Captain

What Bond-o said. You have a pre beeper boat. If you want a beep get a gen II drive.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

you may notice the boats are I/O ... it is a blower alarm...to remind you to turn the blower on before lighting the engine up...the blower clears gas fumes from under engine cover ( EXPLOSION )..... ;)

Beg to differ, but I've never seen a blower alarm connected to the ignition key. It's actually a horrible idea, because on some systems just turning on the key can generate a spark. The blower should always be run for a few minutes before turning the key!