• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bottom Paint

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottom Paint

We are considering on keeping new to us 2005 Bayliner 242 Classic in the marina for the season. The boat will be in fresh water on Lake Erie entire summer season. Being a trailer sailor I do not have much experience with issues that arise as result of hull and out-drive remaining in water for 4 to 5 month straight. Should we paint the bottom with anti-fouling paint? I just can't imagine any paint actually sticking to smooth gel-coat. I image first paint application involves sanding or chemical treatment to make paint stick.

Please share your thoughts regarding pros and cons of bottom painting. Keep in mind this boat will be in fresh waters of Lake Erie for at least 4 month per year. I understand the salt water boats are subject to extreme marine growth if left unprotected. Does anyone keep their boat in marina without bottom paint on Great Lakes?

Re: Bottom Paint

Originally posted by GrindKore View Post
    We are considering on keeping new to us 2005 Bayliner 242 Classic in the marina for the season. The boat will be in fresh water on Lake Erie entire summer season. Being a trailer sailor I do not have much experience with issues that arise as result of hull and out-drive remaining in water for 4 to 5 month straight. Should we paint the bottom with anti-fouling paint? I just can't imagine any paint actually sticking to smooth gel-coat. I image first paint application involves sanding or chemical treatment to make paint stick.

Please share your thoughts regarding pros and cons of bottom painting. Keep in mind this boat will be in fresh waters of Lake Erie for at least 4 month per year. I understand the salt water boats are subject to extreme marine growth if left unprotected. Does anyone keep their boat in marina without bottom paint on Great Lakes?
    kept mine for 2 months at the end of last season (Lk. Ontario-Bluffers Marina)
    When i pulled it out it was all green algea growing. i washed it out a little bit then stored for winter. now i have brown marks all over the place. anti-fouling paint here doesn't come in white so that sucks! i dont want to ruin the color scheme of my boat.

1988 Glasstream 152 Tempest 120hp Mercruiser *SOLD Feb 27, 2012*
    1996 Seadoo SPX 717

Comment

"Does anyone keep their boat in marina without bottom paint on Great Lakes?"

Only people that don't know what they are risking.

You absolutely, positively have to have bottom paint on Lake Erie, if you are slipping the boat. Anyone can disagree with me if they want to, but you will be sorry if you don't bottom paint.

The biggest CON to not bottom painting is that your hull will get SO FOULED, that your engine will be "lugged" at ALL times when the boat is in motion. This WILL lead to valve damage at the least, piston/head/complete engine damage at worst. And it will not be covered under the Mercruiser warranty. It is abuse.

Of course they have to sand the gelcoat first.

Do a search on here, and you'll find all the pros and cons. But you don't have a choice. Marine growth in Lake Erie is bad, as are the zebra mussels. You have to bottom paint. I would consult a local marina or two to see what type they suggest.

Good luck.

Comment

I'm getting contradicting statements from various people including marina managers and boaters here on the lake. Some are saying "get her painted" others are saying "don't bother with it", it's split 50/50 no general consensus.

I sent a quick e-mail to the marina manager today where we want to wet slip our boat and asked him what his other clients do. Here is what he said; "Most boats don't have antifouling paint but you could ask Express Marine who works with these products". This is a large 400+ slip marina that has anything from jet-ski to 70'+ yachts here, I was a bit surprised by his answer.

Comment

Does this marina manager have a mechanic who makes a living by removing and reconditioning cylinder heads? Or does he like to charge folks to lift their boats out and power wash the bottom. Also, since most people don't begin boating until Memorial Day on Erie, and the traffic really slows down after July 4th, and the season is DONE at Labor Day, it's not a real long season. It is "possible" that in whatever section of the lake you are at, that the water stays colder and the growth isn't as bad.
          But even if the growth didn't exist, you still want to get the bottom painted, with an epoxy barrier coat first, to prevent hull blistering. Unless your Bayliner is made with epoxy resin, which I highly doubt, as it's expensive, and Bayliners are not.

Comment

Originally posted by imraan47 View Post
            kept mine for 2 months at the end of last season (Lk. Ontario-Bluffers Marina)
            When i pulled it out it was all green algea growing. i washed it out a little bit then stored for winter. now i have brown marks all over the place. anti-fouling paint here doesn't come in white so that sucks! i dont want to ruin the color scheme of my boat.
            The staining is not too bad. The hull of my open bow ski boat that I currently trailer looks similar if I don't wash it for a while. And its always stored dry. On the bottom picture if I'm not mistaken I see the gel-coat blisters, is that the case?

Comment

around here, antifouling paint is prt of the color scheme, unless your topside is already "pine-sap green" or "river water brown."

PS use toilet bowl cleaner to get rid of the brown stains.
              A man of constant boat tinkering.

Comment

Heard a story over the weekend of a guy who takes regular paint and mixes cayenne pepper in it; no barnacles.
                A man of constant boat tinkering.

Comment

The staining is not too bad. The hull of my open bow ski boat that I currently trailer looks similar if I don't wash it for a while. And its always stored dry. On the bottom picture if I'm not mistaken I see the gel-coat blisters, is that the case?
                  good eye..i didn't even catch that! damn i'm worried now!
                  i will have to go to the boat and i will check it out and take more pics.
                  1996 Seadoo SPX 717

Comment

I dont know but personally just because there isn't a white color anti-fouling paint that is legal in Ontario so that prevents me from doing it. i really dont want to mess up the color scheme because my boat is just black and white, some grey too.

Originally posted by TilliamWe View Post
                    "Does anyone keep their boat in marina without bottom paint on Great Lakes?"

Only people that don't know what they are risking.

You absolutely, positively have to have bottom paint on Lake Erie, if you are slipping the boat. Anyone can disagree with me if they want to, but you will be sorry if you don't bottom paint.

The biggest CON to not bottom painting is that your hull will get SO FOULED, that your engine will be "lugged" at ALL times when the boat is in motion. This WILL lead to valve damage at the least, piston/head/complete engine damage at worst. And it will not be covered under the Mercruiser warranty. It is abuse.

Of course they have to sand the gelcoat first.

Do a search on here, and you'll find all the pros and cons. But you don't have a choice. Marine growth in Lake Erie is bad, as are the zebra mussels. You have to bottom paint. I would consult a local marina or two to see what type they suggest.

Good luck.
                    Attached Files
                    1996 Seadoo SPX 717

Comment

I got this response from a reputable marine dealer where we are purchasing this boat from regarding bottom paint;

Well, my opinion is that it is not necessary to "protect" the bottom gelcoat from osmotic blistering with bottom paint, since vinylester resin has been used since the early 90s in gelcote formulation and blisters are quite rare anymore.

If left in-water though,you will experience some performance degradation over the summer as the bottom mosses up, slowing the vessel time to plane. This can be remedied by regular bottom scrubbing at the beach/sandbar or whatever.

Comment

Vinlyester definately does help, but it doesn't prevent blisters entirely. I wonder what imraan47's boat model year is and what type of resin it uses. if it's mid 90s and uses vinylester, I'd say blistering isn't that rare! We have one picture of one boat, and it has blisters!

I respectfully disagree that beaching will remove enough growth. I have seen the growth on my sister's boat, that is left in the water near Port Clinton. The only beaching that would remove that stuff is a beach with sandpaper or huge boulders!

But hey, do what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by TilliamWe View Post
                          Vinlyester definately does help, but it doesn't prevent blisters entirely. I wonder what imraan47's boat model year is and what type of resin it uses. if it's mid 90s and uses vinylester, I'd say blistering isn't that rare! We have one picture of one boat, and it has blisters!

I respectfully disagree that beaching will remove enough growth. I have seen the growth on my sister's boat, that is left in the water near Port Clinton. The only beaching that would remove that stuff is a beach with sandpaper or huge boulders!

But hey, do what you want.

I'm not arguing for or against bottom paint. I'm trying to come up with the solution that will work for us in the long run. Here is how I see it.

Pros:
                          * Boat can be wet slipped all summer with minimal marine growth and performance deterioration.
                          * Additional protection against gelcoat blistering.
                          * Improved fuel consumption
                          * Reduced wear on the engine due to drag reduction.
                          * Eliminates the need to haul out mid season to pressure wash the hull or continually scrubbing hull.

Cons:
                          * Additional initial expense
                          * Permanent change to the boats appearance, potentially may be derogatory to a resale value if new owner decides to trailer and/or not wet slipping.
                          * Paint requites fresh coat or two every season, followed by occasional full strip down maintenance cycles.
                          * Additional reoccurring maintenance cost in terms of time and money.

Did I miss anything?

Comment

Well there you go..to me i'd rather not use anti-fouling paint because my con's over weight the pros.
                            I applogize to hijack this thread.

oh and my boat is a 1988

I'd rather pull the boat out on the trailer and give it a wash right at the marina's parking lot my self then put it back in the slip. thats easy to do with my boat as its not a big boat. i can arrange with my friend who has a car that i depends on anyway to pull my boat around.
                            now if there were a white anti-fouling paint, then i would use it. does anyone know why they dont have it in white color..there must be some reason.

I'm not arguing for or against bottom paint. I'm trying to come up with the solution that will work for us in the long run. Here is how I see it.

Pros:
                            * Boat can be wet slipped all summer with minimal marine growth and performance deterioration.
                            * Additional protection against gelcoat blistering.
                            * Improved fuel consumption
                            * Reduced wear on the engine due to drag reduction.
                            * Eliminates the need to haul out mid season to pressure wash the hull or continually scrubbing hull.

Cons:
                            * Additional initial expense
                            * Permanent change to the boats appearance, potentially may be derogatory to a resale value if new owner decides to trailer and/or not wet slipping.
                            * Paint requites fresh coat or two every season, followed by occasional full strip down maintenance cycles.
                            * Additional reoccurring maintenance cost in terms of time and money.

Did I miss anything?
                            1996 Seadoo SPX 717

Comment

Bottom Paint does not need to alter the appearance of the boat. Here is a picture of my Four Winns on the trailer. Only the very bottom is painted.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X