Products for rust?

tmt

Seaman Apprentice
What products are best for rust and corrosion after running in salt water. I wash everything down with fresh water but I am getting rust on steering arm, bolt heads, lug nuts of trailer, exe... also whats good to clean padded cooler seats from mildew?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Products for rust?

seat tilex. washdown, dry WD 40.

lug nuts of trailer. nothing, stainless .

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

You shouldn't have rust on a steering arm; find the source and replace with SS.
don't dunk your trailer.
Use white lithium grease on bolt heads, etc.
If you use WD40 to remove water, follow with a lubricant/sealer such as silicon, white lithium grease, oil, etc. WD40 is a drying agent and attracts salt/corrosion.
Be sure your zincs are correct.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The steering arm is almost always the first thing to degrade when a motor is operated in salt water unless the sacrificial anodes are maintained in excellent condition.

Following the steering arm, the other steel and stainless steel parts and fasteners will also degrade. Washing and flushing with fresh water and Salt Away whenever possible, followed by water displacing products like WD40 will help. Grease such as BRP Triple Gaurd can help to protect exposed steel areas of the steering arm and the covers of trim motors.

On the trailer, the galvanized parts will show less signs of corrosion because they are galvanized (zinc) until the zinc is eaten away, after which they too will rust. If the trailer is painted, the paint is usually on the outside only, so that the metal inside of the tubing is exposed.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

All my Heavy Equipment is run in or around salt water, i use Boeshield T9 , it beats everything else,you need to "kill" the rust. or convert it back to steel then protect the metal from salt. rust "converters include products like Naval Gelly, Osphos or any other converter..then apply Boeshield Bye-Bye rust.