Thoughts on Claw vs Danforth style anchor

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class
So,

I got me a nice new Lewmar 11 lb Claw anchor with 10 feet of chain and 150 feet of rode for my 21 foot bow rider.

The WM store guy told me this style would work much better than the standard Danforth style I had been using. He said that especially in weeds/etc which is fairly common around my boating area (Georgian Bay Canada) it would work much better.

Is he right? (Ice is still in and boat still wrapped so it'll be a while till I can try)

dumy1

Cadet
Re: Thoughts on Claw vs Danforth style anchor

Guy at WM is right. If you do most of your anchoring in weeds a claw type( CQR etc) will work better. The folding fluke type anchor is usually not great in weed because the flukes tend to fold when they hit the weeds and therefore you have a flat surface with no " dig in" power. In sand or mud the danforth types are suitable.
Good luck and have a great summer.
Ron

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply.

I'm assuming the claw will be fine for sand/mud as well though just better in weeds right?

Cheers.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

The claw will be fine in mud and sand too.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

If you're not fighting heavy swells or really high winds, it shouldn't matter for the most part. It's a 21 foor boat. I had a 21' Angler and used both is all types of conditions and they both held fine.