• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best rear anchor

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best rear anchor

Hi everyone. I was wondering what everyone would recommend for a rear anchor for my boat. It is an older 19' fiberglass cuddy with 165 mercruiser. 98% of the time I am going to be boating in the north channel of lake Huron around manitoulin island. I bought a 14lbs danforth anchor for the front with 200' of 1/2" line and have bought 100' of 3/8" line for the rear but unsure what style anchor to go with. The three I have been considering are a 20lbs navy anchor, a 16lbs river anchor or a 10lbs collapsible anchor that is sort of like a grapnel anchor. Any insure from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice
    RUMBLEFISH2
    1988 Tempest 210CC, 350 mercruiser 260hp
    Tow vehicle 1997 dodge ram ext cab slt 4x4

Re: Best rear anchor

Originally posted by Rumley View Post
    Hi everyone. I was wondering what everyone would recommend for a rear anchor for my boat. It is an older 19' fiberglass cuddy with 165 mercruiser. 98% of the time I am going to be boating in the north channel of lake Huron around manitoulin island. I bought a 14lbs danforth anchor for the front with 200' of 1/2" line and have bought 100' of 3/8" line for the rear but unsure what style anchor to go with. The three I have been considering are a 20lbs navy anchor, a 16lbs river anchor or a 10lbs collapsible anchor that is sort of like a grapnel anchor. Any insure from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice
    What about an extra anchor up front? I have an I/O and will not have an anchor for the stern, ever never.

Comment

I am fairly new to anchoring out for the night and was told to have bow a bow and stern anchor. Any advice on if this is a bad idea and what would be better would be appreciated.
      RUMBLEFISH2

Comment

Who told you that you needed a stern anchor? Did they explain what conditions you were likely to encounter that might necessitate a stern anchor? If you don't know why you do or why you don't, you need to find out. I did not see any mention of chain as part of your ground tackle. Make sure you have an ample amount of chain to go along with your line.

http://www.***************/webapp/wcs...Techniques.htm

Read the above information thoroughly. There will be a test Monday morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Rumley View Post
          Wouldn't anchor from the stern, fastest way for your boat to get swamped You want to anchor from the the bow, so that the boat will naturally be pointed into the wind, and thus take on the waves with the bow. If you anchor with the stern, you will in essence be taking wave on with out the benefit of your hull.

I'd spend some time taking an online boating course as that would better articulate the dangers of anchoring from the stern.

T

T
          ------------------------------------------

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Project
          1974 Starcraft Chieftain
          http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....errerid=174999

"Completed" Project
          1991 Starcraft Islander 191V - Rebuild
          http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=359551

Comment

One stern anchor + water = swamped boat. Cardinal rule of boating,NEVER EVER ANCHOR FROM THE STERN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even on a back bay because you never know when someone will come around a bend doing 50 with a large wake and there you are... all wet.
            The reason I do what I do is in the avatar above.

Comment

I do have chain on my bow anchor I forgot to mention that. I have taken a boater safety course as Ontario requires that. After reading what everyone has posted it makes perfect sense to not have a stern anchor and I will find out why I was told that. I am not a complete new boater but I am new to anchoring for the night. All previous boating was from leaving the dock and then coming back to the dock to tie up.
              Thanks for everyones input. Much appreciated.
              RUMBLEFISH2

Comment

Where he is there is NO current. Current would be a big problem for a stern anchor. If you are in a sheltered bay with no current you are only protecting from swinging around in the wind.

I would set the bow anchor by pulling the boat in reverse. and use whatever is convenient in the stern to avoid swinging in the wind.
                Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow - gotta love the internal combustion engine!
                2007 18 ft Legend Excalibur Mercury 90 EFI 4 Stroke

Comment

I use a 4.4 lb bruce claw for the stern. It's small, light, easy to kedge and has amazing hold in sand.

You only need a stern anchor to keep the boat from swinging around in tight day anchorages near shore. Always point the bow away from shore and you'll be fine. If you are anchoring overnight, I highly recommend using only one anchor and make sure you have enough room to swing on it.

Comment

In protected waters I ALWAYS use bow and stern anchors.... I absolutely hate having my boat constantly hunting back and forth on only the bow anchor.... It's irritating when trying to fish and it's irritatting when sleeping.... If you are in a boat that can be swamped by a wake you are not in a big enough boat to be overnighting where you have chosen to anchor..... I like a cove.... drop the bow anchor and back toward the shore... throw the stern anchor toward shore and pull in the bow line in to center the boat between the two anchors.....
                    Kevin

But, where are the reevets?
                    1981 Wellcraft V-20 CC Fisherman (FREE BOAT)
                    1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo 28(Build thread here)
                    1992 Hotsports Jet'n'Cat Yam 701 WR3 drivetrain "SS George Washington"
                    90's Yamaha WRIII and a pair of 95 Kawasaki ZXI-900's
                    Fresh clean cheap oil is better then old dirty expensive oil any day
                    sigpic

Comment

Don't consider it a stern anchor- it's in actuality a 'secondary' anchor. Typically it's smaller and lighter ground tackle used only in good weather. We call 'em lunch hooks.
                      If conditions are calm and the area has negligable current, a secondary anchor can be safely deployed from the stern- but only AFTER the primary anchor is securely attached to both the bow and the bottom.

In the above scenario, there are additional issues that must be considered before setting a stern anchor.
                      - Are any other vessels anchored nearby, and how are they set? Best policy to prevent collision or entanglement is to anchor away from others and use the same anchoring technique so all boats move the same while anchored.
                      - Does your primary anchor have good holding power with the bottom in that area?
                      - Will tides and/or current change significantly while anchored?
                      - Is the wind forecast to change direction or force while anchored?

If all of the issues are addressed then bow and stern anchoring is fine. I do it regularly with my Silverton. In this shot you can see both anchor lines.
                      BTW- my primary is a 33# Delta plow, and the secondary is a Fortress FX16, which is light but hold well.

"Winter Dream"
                      Silverton 34C
                      White/Green

Wellcraft 23 Nova XL

Lowe 1448 BigJon
                      w/Evinrude 25HP

Comment

All of what arks said. Especially important to anchor the same way as everyone else in close quarters so the boats don't collide.

I also anchor often off the beaches at Fire Isalnd and set bow out with the secondary off the stern (set on or near the beach). So does everyone else in the "parking lot."

I carry a 14-lb bow anchor and a 5-lb secondary.
                        John and Linda
                        Long Island, NY
                        Escapade III
                        1992 Carver 26 Command Bridge
                        Twin Merc Alpha 4.3 'Gen +'

Comment

we anchor bow and stern quite often, you just have to use some common sense. There's a technique I use called Bahamian anchoring, which basically uses two anchors tied off on the bow so the boat will swing with the tide.

http://www.tropicalboating.com/boat-...anchoring.html
                          Love the life you live, live the life you love-Bob Marley

sigpic

Comment

my boat has a high profile cabin and catches a lot of wind.
                            I think you have a couple options:

1.- anchoring near shore- drop primary anchor of the bow- back in to set -set rear lighter anchor on the beach or close to it.

2. I have 2 bow anchors about 45 degree angle apart. I do this to keep from swinging back & forth and stay in a much smaller area.-yet still bow heading into the wind and/or current.

if you look around you can find alot of info in types of anchors- scope- and size.
                            sigpic 1981 Glastron SX-190 300hp 350 SBC
                            Living the Dream

Comment

I am not a fan of a stern anchor. Especially since a family drowned near hear that were swamped by a large fast boat coming out of a channel and swamping them. They had a stern anchor alone.
                              Just my 2 cents.
                              sigpicMarada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X