1985 Wellcraft Offshore 248 restore

mstead

Cadet
Hi. I am new to the forum and I see some great information here. I am starting a restore on a Wcraft offshore 248 and am hoping to get a bit of advice. I have done several restores before but never on anything as big as this beast. So here is the story (sorry if this is unbearably long) :
Me and a buddy were buying, fixing, and selling boats a few years back before the economy went south and when we both had alot more time on our hands. We each ended up with a 25' project. I got the Wellcraft 248. The boat came with 2 bad Johnson 125's. I replaced them with a single 1996 Johnson 225 2 years ago and the boat has sat collecting leaves since that time as I was too busy to deal with it. The boat needs a good bit of cosmetic and I will also have to either replace the bowrail or try to bend it back in shape from where the previous owner had a limb fall on it. I also have a sidelite on the windshield to replace. The floor down the middle of the fishing deck is soft so I will have to deal with that also. Eventually I will want to paint the whole boat. Here are my questions and I would appreciate any feed back or advice:
1. Am I insane to do all this work to this old boat? My intent is not to fix it for sale but to keep it as a family fishing boat for use on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I already have about 3K in it.
2. What is the difference between the Sportsman model and the Offshore model? I can't seem to find good info anywhere.
3. The hydraulic trim tabs were totally shot so we pulled them off. Will the boat ride ok without them for the time being or should I replace them before I start using the boat? If I need to replace them should I go with electric or hydraulic tabs?
4. What capacity is the fuel tank and how do you deal with old gas that has been sitting in there for god knows how long? Can I flush it somehow or should I consider pulling the tank and replacing it?
Again, sorry so long but I would appreciate any advice.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1985 Wellcraft Offshore 248 restore

WC_PIG_248OffshoreOB_IO_85.jpg

Looks like you have 125 gallon capacity....I believe the major difference between the offshore and sportsman is that the sportsman has the elevated step up to the helm area for berthing room under neath. The offshore has just one big flat cockpit...(much more desirable in my opinion)

If you go to Wellcraft.com and then to the owners section (at the bottom of the page) and then to product info guides you can see information on each one.

Unless you think the tank leaks you should be able to just drain it an put in fresh gas. Get yourself a little automotive fuel pump and hook it up to a little 12 v battery and suck it out ....if its not super ancient you can probably burn it in your car/truck with some fresh gas and not worry too much about it. If you dont want to do that your local recyclying center should let you know how to get rid of it.

As far as if you are insane or not I dont think you are alone in your endeavors and that is one sweet boat.

mstead

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I can see the difference between the two now. I don't see spending alot of overnight trips so having that huge fishing deck is better. I plan to post pics along the way as the restoration takes place.

skargo

Banned

This should be a nice resto to watch, subscribed!

Best of luck.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

What part of the country are you from?

Those old Wellcrafts were extremely popular as rental boats when I lived in Ft. Lauderdale in the mid eighties to mid nineties. They were good boats. I would think you could find all kinds of parts if needed.

mstead

Cadet

Well, game is over. Spent 3 days stripping graphics, bottom paint and miscellanious stuff before my genius self bothered to fully inspect the transom which is rotten. Know it is fixable but I have neither the time or money to do so, so the boat is gonna be sold for a loss as a project. Thanks for everyone's input!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Get yourself a little automotive fuel pump and hook it up to a little 12 v battery and suck it out ....

Not a good idea to use a 12v anything while evacuating fuel. Too much a of a chance to cause an errant spark. Although it slower, it's safer to use a hand bulb primer-type pump.

JZ140672

Recruit
There aren't many 248 offshore's around and yes they are solid, 3rd owner for mine and with a little TCC she's looking pretty good.