Glastron or Mariah?

Armada1950

Cadet
Greetings all, First post! Been lurking around for awhile soaking up the advice this board offers. Now I have my question...

Replacing my 94 Marada that was crushed when the boatport collapsed from snow/ice. Been looking at used but haven't seen anything the struck me as a deal. Then my wife and I saw a new 08 Mariah SX18. Nice lookiing boat with lots of features I like. Bottom line, 17.5K out the door. They also had a couple of 09 R18.9's for similiar prices. Started looking at what else was out there, closest price wise it an 08 Glastron 185 with similiar features for 16.9K.

I want to stay in this price range so please don't tell me to go bigger. This suits me for the use and boat slip where it will rest between uses.

My question is, are they comparable boats? I've seen posts about people giving somewhat negative reviews on the Mariahs but would like actual owners perspectives for both makes. Thanks!

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Glastron or Mariah?

I dont know much about Mariahs we dont see too many where I am. But I owned a Glastron GS 180 for several years.

It was fantastic. I would still have it had the motor not been shot and I did not want to repower, and I needed something slightly bigger. Solid dry ride. Smooth. I had no complaints what so ever with it. Awesome boat!

The new ones are no wood construction their VEC process is really good. Mine was just before they switched and had a wood floor, but fiberglass stringers.
I would not hesitate for one second to but another one.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

Looked at both of them while searching for a boat. We really liked the price, looks and accessories of the Mariah, but quickly discovered that it's not in the same league as the Glastron. Glastrons are much better boats... IN MY OPINION :).
Our choice came down to a Searay, Crownline and a Glastron. The Glastron was in stock.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've got a 2006 Mariah SX20 with the 5.0 EFI mercruiser. It looks nice and runs great. The new Mariahs don't have as good a reputation as the older ones but they don't have any wood in the hull and I have not had any problems with mine that were not self inflicted.

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

I would pass on the Mariah, simply because they've had a some what spotty financial history...if they go under (again), your warranty is meaningless.

The 90's models of Mariah's were awesome boats...but they have nothing to do with the new 'Mariah' and (guys, correct me if I'm wrong) older owners warranties are worthless now...as new Mariah doesn't have anything to do with them.

I would go with the Glastron given the choice of the two...VEC hull, zero wood, and Glastron has been around forever.

That said...I'm biased...

jkust

Rear Admiral

Which engine and outdrive does each have?

The Great Escape II

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go with Glastron, the new Mariah's are owned by the old owners of the bankrupt Renken Boat family. The new Mariah's are very entry built boats. They also own the Sea Fox company.

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would go Glastron because of the History! I'm biased as well........

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Pretty high asking prices for the entry level 3.0 engine.

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I too would throw my vote behind Glastron in this comparison.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

There are some biased Glastron owner's, glad to hear :). When I was deciding, I heard the same comment regarding Mariah, "entry" level boat. The difference in the price was substantial. I then went to the boat show and really compared the boats. I wanted a Crownline, but the model I wanted was out of stock. Then looked at the Glastron, very similar to the Crownline and the one I wanted was in stock and ready to go. The Searay that I had been looking at was used by the dealer as a demonstration boat to go party at Peanut Island (West Palm Beach, FL), and he thought I might buy it since it was his last one in stock :mad:.

And, though I own a Glastron, and very happy with it, this is not intended as a biased opinion (I think ;)).

GXL205 Deke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cannot comment on a Mariah never even heard of them. As for Glastron, I am sure you could look around and find a complaint fest on about any boat, which of course are one offs usually. I do not have a single complaint about my Glastron. Ride, performance, appearance, value, price, all are win win. Glastron has been stepping up their game each and every hear it seems with bang for the buck. So you wont go wrong with a Glastron choice as far as I am concerned.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Jkust,
They both have 3.0 Mercruisers.

Both at the high $ end with that 3.0 but that wasn't why you posted. I vote Glastron but wanted to be sure each had comparable power. Glastron has so much more going for it company and build wise than Mariah. It's not a premium boat but they are a well rounded boat. Do yourself a favor and take a test in each when you can. I would get some opionions on prices here as well.

GeneH

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why limit to these two? Throw Stingray in the mix and others. Impressive performance and fuel economy. The 3.0 is the bottom (pits) of marine power. For this price, I would think you could get an 18' with a V-6 and not have to listen to all that noise and vibration. I had three of the older Mariahs and they were pretty good but the older ones are now older yet. Mine were 1992-1994s. Looks to me like it is a buyers market right now. If you have the dough there are tons of boats out there and you are in the driver's seat. Don't get in a hurry and don't get hustled. People with money are in the minority and people with boats they can't afford are in the majority.

haulnazz15

Captain

I always thought the Mariahs were better boats than the Glastrons back in the 90's, but I can't say that I've seen a new Mariah, so I can't speculate on their quality now. If it were 1995, I'd tell you to get the Mariah. Like was mentioned though, there are lots of boat models in that size, no reason to limit yourself between the two.

Armada1950

Cadet

Thanks for the inputs folks. I'm not limiting myself to those two makes. Nor am I limiting myself ot new or used. I would really prefer to pay cash and not have a payment, but I would also like the piece of mind that comes with a new boat. You are correct in that it is a buyer's market, you just have to stay on top of places like craigslist. If you are not the first to respond to an ad, you are SOL in most cases if it's good buy.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

Just as a point of reference, I picked up, a few months ago, a leftover 08 Monterey with the 4.3V6 and a loadrite trailer with brakes for about what you're saying those two boats cost.

The dealer I bought it from used to sell Monterey exclusively, but ended up picking up Glastron as an affordable alternative.

Basically, what I'm saying is, you shouldn't settle until you find exactly what you want, and in this day and age the price should be relatively negotiable, or you should just keep looking.

Armada1950

Cadet

Subliminal,

I have seen a 2009 Monterey 180FS around my area. Dealer is asking 23.5K for it with a 4.3 Not sure if I can get him down to 17K for that boat. Maybe they are a little prouder of their stock here in VA.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

Mine retailed at $33k. The asking price at the time I was looking was $22k. I got it for $18.5k with a new trailer with brakes, loaded with Sirius, vinyl floor, SS package, iPod hookup and the 4.3L.

Never hurts to ask. Tell them whatcha got. Mine was a leftover 08, which I guess could have motivated the seller a little more, but still...all they can say is yes or no. ;)