Fuel fill neck fungus??

KenOverton

Seaman Apprentice
Hopefully someone has seen this and knows a way to stop it. I recently purchased the boat and I have no idea how long it has been sitting. There was very little fuel in the tank when I got it, and the growth was minor then (back in January). I added an inline filter prior to the engine (outboard). Added an enzyme treatment and fuel stabilizer for 22 gallons, then filled tank and added the proper amount of 2-cycle oil. I went to replace the fill neck today, due to the cap being extremely hard to get on and off, and pictured is the growth looks to have went wild.

Is there any way to prevent this from continuing?

Ken

Attachments

• fuel fill 3.jpg
    fuel fill 3.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0

VIPV162

Cadet
Re: Fuel fill neck fungus??

I recently purchased an 85 373V that has this problem in both fill necks. So, I am very interested in this question also.
Come on folks.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Looks like corrosion to me.

salty87

Commander

same here...corrosion.

the fill neck on my boat looks similar. has been that way for the 10 yrs i've owned it.

KenOverton

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. The thought crossed my mind as I sat around watching TV last evening. So, if it's corrosion, grounding the filler neck on the stud that is provided would alleviate it. The one I removed was not but has a grounding point, as does the new one.

I'll run a wire to ground and see if that solves the problem.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

It probably won't. Its there more than likely because that's where the condensation forms. Nice cold spot there plus it is at the very top of the whole system.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

install a new filler neck, if its corrosion(which it looks like) its not going to stop

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Same phenomenon occurs on your car, or I guess your I/O if the oil filler is on top where I'd assume it is beins automotive blocks are usually used in Mercruisers. When you remove the oil fill cap you see brown oil, especially in the winter time....obviously the brown part is condensation.

Mark

KenOverton

Seaman Apprentice

I was hoping to stop it. I am sure the corrosion was the reason the filler cap was so difficult to remove and install. I guess after 19 years its not too bad, that is, if the previous owner never had to replace it.

Thanks

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

replace it with a stainless steel filler, end of problem