What to do when engine dies???

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am buying a boat and i haven't owned one before. I have no clues about boating. I want to know what to do, expect when my boat's motor dies and i am floating around (river & lake)? Should i call 911? :D

I am from CA, Sacramento.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What to do when engine dies???

You need to take a boating safety course (ie. Coast Guard) before you venture out. You also should have someone with you who is familiar with boats. From the beginning, you should develop a sincere respect for the water, its pleasures and its many hazards. Your dying engine should be the least of your concerns at this juncture.

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My boat is going to be a 11' inflatable and 6HP and i am definitely not going to the seas.
I have read around and gather fairly enough safety info. I believed i took the Coast Guard course online before. However, in the case i need a tow, where i can expect to get the help?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

My boat is going to be a 11' inflatable and 6HP and i am definitely not going to the seas.
I have read around and gather fairly enough safety info. I believed i took the Coast Guard course online before. However, in the case i need a tow, where i can expect to get the help?

Basically from anyone out there. You need to attract some attention to yourself. You can also start paddling to shore. Make sure you have all the necessary safety equipment on board as well.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

cd
You have oars on your boat right? Just start rowing.
do call the harbour authority or coast guard etc on your cell or on channel 16 with a handheld vhf, they will want to know if your out of power and your location for that simple get a chart of the area. they can advise you of any danger,and inforn sea tow and commercial traffic to slow down and watch for you and all other boaters in your area of your situation this is done Just in case there is a large vessel heading your way. all good boaters and monitor vhf channel 16

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

However, in the case i need a tow, where i can expect to get the help?

DON'T expect to get help.

Have oars, trolling motor, anchor, etc, to keep you and yours safe.
Don't expect that anyone will even be there to help you.
Carry a handheld marine radio if you think you may need a tow.

Or call Nancy Pelosi.

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, so far, row to the shore and have a marine radio ready. 8) Thanks for all the replies. I want to know more about boating etiquette, what i should expect from the fellow boaters and what they expect of me. Any recommendations on a handheld marine radio?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

the above is true....

BUT yes if you feel that your life is in danger you can call 911 but not if you are simply uncomfortable... this is only IF you have reception..... do NOT count on a cell phone..... maintain all required safety equipment.... a whistle will get someone's attention if they can hear it over their radio or engines... a gallon of drinking water, compass, flashlight, and a set of oars can save your life..... make it to shore and start walking....... ALSO tell someone where you will be and when to expect to see you again..... If you don't show they will call for help

either oars or two paddles and two people works but one paddle is pretty much useless in an inflatable if you need to go against or across the wind

as for etiquette..... it's the same as anywhere else.... some will help and some won't..... As a kid in a 12' alum I had a gofast intentionally swamp me and they drove off laughing as my boat with 3 people capsized. my friend and I swam nearly a mile well after dark dragging the upside down boat with his terrified girlfriend on top of it..... I have also seen boaters give a $100 part to a fellow (stranger) boater for free.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

First there is a Coast Guard Boating Skills and Seamanship class going on right now at Carmicle Park on Wednesday Evening. It would be a good start for you.

Where are you boating, Folsom Lake, the Sacramento river, American river, Delta?
These places a handheld VHF radio is not going to help you as it does not have enough range to reach any Coast Guard Station. Nearest station is Rio Vista, next is Mare Island in the Mouth of the Napa river, Then San Francisco Group.
Folsom Lake Marina has a VHF radio at the Fuel dock on busy Summer weekends but even then not often you will get a reply. On the North Fork side they will not hear a handheld.

To get Sea Tow or Vessel Assist would cost you more than the boat, motor and trailer is worth.

Get two good paddel or oars, tune up your motor and carry extra water and a blanket.

Old days almost anyone would tow you in. Then California Courts ruled good sumiarrian law only applied to medical aid. After that some people started faking a distress then when you had them under tow would fall and fake an injury and SUE.
At that point even the Coast Guard Aux would not tow you unless the Coast Guard authorized. This would be done in a true MayDay event. They will call you a friend or contact one of the tow services.

Your best bet in the Sacramento area is a well tuned motor or a charged Cell phone.

Late last year Bill AB 83 was passed and Signed by the GOV which many think restores most of the protections of the good samarian laws some may now tow again.

Folsom Lake on a summer weekend paddle out to the main body and the sherrif or Park Patrol will likely tow you back to the dock. Of course untill the end of may they will not be on patrol and even then only on weekends. Also until the end of may all you will see on the lake is fishermen.

Tune your motor up check the water pump, carry spark plugs and a wrench and you will be fine.
Good Luck

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Anchor anchor anchor. Your most important safety equipment. If you have a problem you want to stay put untill you can figure out and implement the next step.

I agree with the other posts except on a 11' boat, you don't need to carry a spare motor! Oars adn oarlocks if you are that worried about it; a paddle at least.

Others aren't likely to mind towing your boat because it's towable, especially if they are headed your way. If a 16+ breaks down, the tow puts an end to your good samaritan's day. And don't expecta toww back toyour car/house; it will be to the closest facility.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

dont think anyone mentioned it above but if you are in an area covered by Sea Tow or Boat US get the insurance. $150 a year gives you great piece of mind...if you have them, either call on cell or use hand held VHF.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Ok, so far, row to the shore and have a marine radio ready. 8) Thanks for all the replies. I want to know more about boating etiquette, what i should expect from the fellow boaters and what they expect of me. Any recommendations on a handheld marine radio?

I'd like to believe common boating etiquette still exists, and for the most part it still does. Always lend a hand if you can in any way possible. If you see someone else needing help, it never hurts to stop and see. There is very little comparison to what people usually think of when they drive a car.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

CD, also consider learning how to properly maintain your engine. (No matter how big or small it is.) While all mechanical things sooner or later will break, you can avoid a great number of these "inevitable" breakdowns through proper maintenance. For example, ever been to a boat ramp and listened to a guy crank and crank and crank his engine until it finally starts? "Well, if I can just get it started it will run just fine." Hmmm. An engine that is hard to start is telling you something. And even if it does start easy there are other things that still need to be tended to - such as a water pump impeller. The botom line is that if you keep your engine, fuel lines and fuel tank in tip-top shape then you'll have one good season after another.

One more comment on engine failures. There is almost always some type of breeze on the water. Whenever you're underway, an important item to consider is which direction will the wind take you if you loose power. I transit the Intercoastal Canal frequently and will overtake several barges in an outing. Loosing power when overtaking a barge can be deadly if the wind is not in your favor. And loosing power doesn't always have to be from a mechanical failure. Run out of gas or forget to open the vent on the fuel tank and the results are the same. :redface: Not that I've ever done that before mind you.....

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

In Canada all boaters have to have a boater operators card and while studying for it used this information thought it might help
http://www.boaterexam.com/canada/education

Not over 6m [= 18'] powered
Personal Protective Equipment:
One Government of Canada (Department of Transport) approved personal flotation device (PFD) or a life jacket for small vessels of appropriate size for each person on board
One buoyant heaving line of not less than 15m in length

Boat Safety Equipment:
One manual propelling device (paddle or oars) OR an anchor with not less than 15m of cable, rope or chain in any combination
One Class 5BC fire extinguisher (if the craft is equipped with an inboard engine, a fixed fuel tank of any size, or a fuel burning cooking, heating or refrigerating appliance).
One bailer or one manual water pump fitted with sufficient hose to enable one person using the pump to pump water from the bilge of the vessel over the side of the vessel. (A bailer or manual water pump is not required for any multi-hull vessel that has subdivided multiple-sealed hull construction.)
Distress Equipment:
A watertight flashlight or 3 Canadian approved flares of type A,B or C
Navigation Equipment:
A sound signaling device or a sound signaling appliance audible at distances of one-half a marine mile (0.93 km)
Navigation lights that meet the applicable standards set out in the Collision Regulations if the pleasure craft is operated after sunset and before sunrise or in periods of restricted visibility.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I'd like to believe common boating etiquette still exists, and for the most part it still does. Always lend a hand if you can in any way possible. If you see someone else needing help, it never hurts to stop and see. There is very little comparison to what people usually think of when they drive a car.

Courtesy and being helpful may not always be the norm, but it should be. But offering tows should be reserved for SeaTow and others in the business. The lawyers have seen to that. Remember that the Chris Craft boat company was put out of business because of a careless tow and a lawsuit award that was the biggest in history. I shudder every time I see someone in tow with a short line attached to a deck cleat.

I carry a marine radio, cellphone, first aid kit, etc. If I see someone in trouble I'll investigate. If they are sinking I;ll take the passengers aboard. If they are drifting toward Niagara Falls and their anchor won't hold, I'll give them another one. I'll offer to call SeaTow if they want me to. And I'll stand by until they arrive.

If everyone just took the boating coarse there would be a lot fewer problems.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Jim, I don't think your approach would apply to an 11' inflatable.

Also check your insurance about towing. Mine pays $600. A typical tow around here for me would be about $800. So after not paying Sea Tow $300 for one year, I am ahead.

Sea tow charges based on time, starting when it leaves ITS dock and when it returns there. So our OP out 4 miles from home in a dinghy might shell out hundreds for the short and simple tow b/c he is that far from Seatow's home base. That's why I'd tow him in for free.

I also have a lot of friends and family on the river upon whom I could impose for a short tow--and I am available for them.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Last summer I towed 5 or 6 boats one of which was a friend who had busted his hull and was sinking fast.... we got him in.... I was also towed once.... no money changed hands and no law suits were filed.... that is not to say that I didn't risk everything to help a stranger but turning my back on someone in need just isn't me....... I am absolutely NOT pointing a finger at someone who chooses not to tow another for fear of a law suit..... just giving an example and my position on the matter.

zach103

Commander

If they don't want to get sued than they won't tow you.. i was towed twice by the same guy. he wouldnt accept anything and we tried numerous times. I towed one guy in.. when doing it i used a longer rope and kept it just above neutral. and gave him my paddle just in case..

Get a paddle.. you will need one. trust me. at some point. you may not need it to paddle with but you will need it. . If i were you i would learn as much as you can about your engine.. have some tools on board.. you never know when your going to need them

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for sharing! It is good to hear the real experiences. I will definitely take the safety courses (online) again before the maiden voyage. Looks like towing boat (on water) is a whole complicated issue. Around my place, the water is pretty calm so i thought towing is more of a courtesy. I am getting a brand new 2010 Tohatsu 6hp, but it is better to be ready.

@Boatist: I am going to visit all of those places, my boat knows no bound. I will be trolling along Sac River to go to the Delta.