Looking for a cockpit cover...

twofourdee

Seaman Apprentice
Ive been looking for a custom fit cockpit cover for a 1989 Four Winns 205 Sundowner ive searched here,internet even E-Bay but have had no luck i only find the big ones that cover the whole boat.. So if any one knows where to get them please let me know Thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Looking for a cockpit cover...

Try a marine trimmer.... Have it made, then it's a custom fit. :D

twofourdee

Seaman Apprentice

hahaha i think it would be funner just to buy one... that is if i can find one :rolleyes:

JoLin

Vice Admiral

hahaha i think it would be funner just to buy one... that is if i can find one :rolleyes:

Isn't gonna happen unless Four Winns hooks you up, and that isn't gonna happen either. You'll need to have one made by a local.

Good luck!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I'm sorry, I was being serious... Find a marine trimmer and have a cover made...

Please explain what you find funny about my suggestion...

Chris.......

twofourdee

Seaman Apprentice

Are you serious they dont make replacement snap on covers that sucks... And achris i thought you were being sarcastic sorry i had no idea you could not just order them and really would have to have one actually custom made.. I have no idea of what type of place you would go to for this??

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

go to ANY marina and ask for a number for a local canvas guy.... look in the yellow pages for boat upholstery.... look at craigs list under boats.....

Philster

Captain

Are you serious they dont make replacement snap on covers that sucks... And achris i thought you were being sarcastic sorry i had no idea you could not just order them and really would have to have one actually custom made.. I have no idea of what type of place you would go to for this??

It's something boat makers don't make anyway. A local guy can measure and make 'em.

A boat maker (like all manufacturers) has to spend money to order, inventory, store and ship parts. It's a cost. You stock what you need. You don't stock stuff that owners can buy locally, unless there is great $ to be made.

Canvas shops can measure the exact dimensions... and on boat windshields and consoles, things move. On a canvas, it needs to be exact/current/custom.

After some time, identical boats will have slightly different templates for a custom cover.

Maxum21

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got a couple of quotes from local shops to make me a snap on cover. Unfortunately its big bucks. i guess it wont be too bad if you only need the bow cover

TilliamWe

Banned

What is 'big bucks'? How much?!

Depends on your location, the time of year, the local market, but here are two examples,

My father, in Central Florida, paid $300 in the winter for a Sunbrella cockpit cover for his Chaparral Signature 300. He then paid $300 the next winter for a Sunbrella cockpit cover for my sister's Chap 2355 cuddy.
I paid $900 in the winter in Peoria, Illinois for a Sunbrella cockpit cover for my Chap 2135 cuddy. And trust me, I shopped around, they were all going to be at least $850.

Makes me wish I lived closer to my parents in Central Florida!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Depends on your location, the time of year, the local market, but here are two examples,

My father, in Central Florida, paid $300 in the winter for a Sunbrella cockpit cover for his Chaparral Signature 300. He then paid $300 the next winter for a Sunbrella cockpit cover for my sister's Chap 2355 cuddy.
I paid $900 in the winter in Peoria, Illinois for a Sunbrella cockpit cover for my Chap 2135 cuddy. And trust me, I shopped around, they were all going to be at least $850.

Makes me wish I lived closer to my parents in Central Florida!

Dang! I live on Long Isalnd. I can kinda sorta guess which end of the spectrum mine will fall into :(

TilliamWe

Banned

Dang! I live on Long Isalnd. I can kinda sorta guess which end of the spectrum mine will fall into :(

Yep. :( And the Sunbrella material keeps getting more and more expensive, too. Although, it's been my experience that when it come to actual Labor costs, Central ilinois is just about as high as it gets. So you may not have to spend as much as I did. Should be a little more competition on L.I. too.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Around here they get $700 for one like this. I make my own.

cover1.jpg

cover2.jpg

TilliamWe

Banned

Around here they get $700 for one like this. I make my own.

cover1.jpg

cover2.jpg

My $900 one fit a little tighter than that, with a cut around a winshield wiper, some heavy reinforcement at the top of the windshield, and reinforcement around the center pole, so it's about equal, yep.

basstracker219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try a marine trimmer that way it will be of good quality. i would rather have pro do it rather than try to make it myself.

twofourdee

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys i apreciate the help and im really hopeing it will be around the $300 mark cause im sure not looking to spend $900 on one

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

In order to make it fit right, there is a ton of labor involved. Hard to imagine anyone doing it for $300.