sourcing plastic for a port window

Timbo59

Cadet
I own a 1995 Sea Ray 230DA, and have two issues that need to be addressed.

One is that one of the port windows got broken by the previous owner, leaked copiously in the rain, and needs replacing. After 12 months of BS going backwards and forwards with Sea Ray, who claimed the part was available, I finally found out that it in fact it wasn't available because the sub contractor who used to make them went out of business and that Sea Ray hadn't bothered finding a back up. Having gone further into it, it seems that boats are viewed strictly as recreational items that don't require the same kind of parts availability that cars do, thus even companies like Sea Ray don't keep a full inventory of parts once a boat is out of production, nor is the industry large enough to warrant thrid party manufacturing. It came as quite a shock to discover this - how would you like to invest hundreds of thousands of dsollars in a boat, only to discover 3 years after it had been superseded that some key item can't be replaced?

Cut a long story short, I need to find a way to replace the port. I can't obviously get exactly the same item, as it comes molded with a raised bevel round the edges, but I thought if I could source a flat piece of the same colored plastic I could get it cut to the same shape and glue it in place where the old port used to be. The plastic is dark green, almost black in appearance. I've attached a picture.

The other problem is the little ice-cooled refrigerator that comes with the boat. The two hinges on it have rusted away to a point where the door simply fell off, and I need to replace them. Anyone have any idea where I could source them?

Thanks........Tim

Attachments

• Profile.JPG
    Profile.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Missing port.JPG
    Missing port.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 1

ziggy

Admiral
Re: sourcing plastic for a port window

have you tried your local glass shop?

i got a piece for my windshield that was coke bottle green plexiglas #2111. it wasn't easy to find a place to get it, but i was successful. i think in my case part of my success was that i knew what i needed. i was able to contact aristocraft in my case and they told me what kinda glass i needed. perhaps searay will be nice enough to let you know exactly what material they made your port hole out of. then you'd know what you need to be searching for...

dozerII

Admiral

Check with a local glass shop and ask for smoked plexiglass. That will be your best bet other than finding a used one.

giterdone72

Seaman

If you are loking to exactly match the colored plexi, I would suggest American Plastics here in Camarillo, California. They have EVERY color, type size imagineable, best source in USA...just google their name. got odds and ends from them over the years...good luck:D

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

not sure what part of the country you are in (advise you update to include at least the state you are in...) but most areas have plastic distributors/fabrication shops that work in plastics....find your local one and try them...might not have an exact match but might get close. most will probably be more geared toward selling to companies but ask nicely and you'll probably get them to help you out for a single piece

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Check sea ray on E-bay they have a good selection of port windows, I thought Taylor made did the windows for sea ray???
pull the MFG's name off the ice box and google them, the hinges could be on a standard RV style ice box????

mphy98

Lieutenant

check with Kendor marine in franklin wi, I think I have seen them there. They are a large old stock wharehouse.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Check out some industrial suppliers in your area. Personally I would go for Lexan over plexiglass. It is much stronger and does not shatter like plexiglass.
We use the smoked shade of lexan in weld cells when needed. It is around triple the price but well worth it. Seal it well when fitting.
Good Luck.

Timbo59

Cadet

Hi again guys,
Thanks for all that fantastic information. I'll see what I can do to follow up on all of it.

And by the way, with regard to the person who asked where I'm based, I live in central Florida.

ziggy

Admiral

Personally I would go for Lexan over plexiglass. It is much stronger and does not shatter like plexiglass.
+ nothing sticks to plexiglas other than epoxy best i find. i don't know if that's true for lexan. the two plastics are closely related chemically from the research i did when i replaced mine.

i went with plexiglas because i was matching existing windshield pieces..

sr280da

Seaman Apprentice

You could try Flounder Pounder Marine in Florida. They buy a lot of Sea Ray parts from SR when they shut down plants, change over models etc.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you cant find the green or have to buy a full sheet just for that little window, I would just go a piece of smoked plexiglass. Cheap easy to install and cuttable with a jigsaw using a fine tooth metal blade. Make a cardboard template transfer to plex with a wax pencil and go easy to cut. You have to go slow and don't force it, sometimes the cut will weld its self back togather. Just go back and recut don't try to snap it. Clear silicone will work fine if your worried about how it sticks lightly sand a 1/2" band around the edge to give the silicone something to bite to. Use blue painters tape and a wood block on the window to hold it in place overnight and you will be set. I would bet an R.V. supply would have something that would work for the ice box. Or even HD may have something that would work with a bit of cutting/bending.

coco230

Recruit

Timbo,

Were you able to resolve your issue with the missing window?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

OP hasn't been on in over 2 years. This is also a 2 year old thread.