moeller fuel tank

hawkman222

Seaman Apprentice
I've got a 1976 Starcraft with a 1984 Evinrude 90HP VRO. It has a Moeller FT1895 permentant mount fuel tank. I bought the boat last year and have trouble with air in the fuel line after the motor is off for a while. I replaced the fuel bulb and can keep fuel from the bulb to the motor just fine. I seem to be draining back from the bulb to the tank. Also, I can only run the tank down to about 1/3 full before I lose fuel altogether. I think there's a problem with the fuel tank pickup. I wanted to pull the pickup, but can't figure out how to remove it. Help on this would be appreciated. There's a check nut on top that looks to hold it in place, but the square part of the assembly on top that you screw the barb into interfers with removal. Also, is this supposed to be a swivel type fitting? It swivels and looks to be a great place for a leak.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: moeller fuel tank

There's a check nut on top that looks to hold it in place, but the square part of the assembly on top that you screw the barb into interfers with removal. Also, is this supposed to be a swivel type fitting? It swivels and looks to be a great place for a leak.

Ayuh,... I'm havin' a hard time visualizing what you're saying,... Gotta picture,..??

I rather Doubt it's supposed to swivel...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Those fuel pickups can be a press fit into the molded aluminum piece that is part of the tank. You might contact moeller and verify.

hawkman222

Seaman Apprentice

I went to the Moeller website and they actually had service/repair documentation online. I have what they call a PL-3 pop lock that snaps into a moulded in insert. The check nut I refered to is what they call a jam nut and is tightened to seal up the tank. I just had to put a pair of vise grips on it and pull up. There are a couple of O-rings on the fitting to seal it into the insert. I'm not seeing any problems with it right now, except that the bottom of the pickup is about 1 1/2 inches from the bottom. That needs addressed.

I've read some other posts where a copper tube is soldered to the top fitting. My fitting appears to be aluminum. Can I solder copper to aluminum or should I just look to replace the plastic tube that's attached now?

Bondo

Staff member

My fitting appears to be aluminum. Can I solder copper to aluminum or should I just look to replace the plastic tube that's attached now?

Ayuh,... You'll have to go with Plastic,...

Copper,+ solder are fine together, but neither will join with aluminum...