Good way to take off stickers/lettering?

robbyr1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is there a good way to take off registration stickers without messing up the fiberglass/gelcoat? Need to put my Wisconsin stickers on and take of the Minnesota for when the summer comes in, oh, 6-7 months.

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Good way to take off stickers/lettering?

Heat them with a hair dryer, OR, if you promise to be careful, use a heat gun. Don't let them get too hot. Clean the residue with Goo Gone or similar product.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Great stuff, that goo gone. Ran across it by accident. If you do any painting and have xylene lying about, (Lowes, Home Depot) it also removes glue residue without harming surfaces or hands.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

You do know the last time I looked chemical in goo gone, or goof off was the same as in paint stripper.

Boat stickers should come off as they are meant to be changed frequently.

I use a portable heater when I do mine in cooler months.

mphy98

Lieutenant

I used a heat gun and a plastic razor blade. YES they do make them, car dealers use them all the time to get off other dealers ad stickers. then goo gone for residue.

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hair dryer and remove residue with rubbing alcohol. I used rubbing alcohol to remove scotch tape residue from a clear plastic windsheild, with NO damage to plastic

j_martin

Admiral

On fiberglass, acetone or lacquer thinner does a good job. It also takes off any wax so your new stickers will stick well.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Acetone works wonders but as said removes wax.
Steal some of the good lady's acetone free nail polish remover. Works great on fiberglass and no need for goo gone.

Aqualift

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lighter Fluid or Naphtha (lg cans) from Lowes work nicely too. I use it for multitude of tasks.

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

Use the alcohol. a little more work, but most of those mentioned will leave a residue, that will work it's way into clearcoat, or evaporate fast, wich means it softens and mar clearcoat quickly, each time you rub it. by the end of season you will have dull areas where you used chemical. imho. never use strong chem. on paint or clearcoat. " maybe use c-90"