Do you travel with your bow and cockpit covers on?

mhensley

Cadet
Just curious as to opinions. I've heard this can "stretch" and "wear out" the material faster than if you just wait till the (trailered boat) is parked. Just curious as to whether you feel the wind on the covers can ruin the elasticity, etc, of the covers. Should we remove them while driving and re-attach when the boat is parked? thanks everyone.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Do you travel with your bow and cockpit covers on?

I would be concerned if I was hauling the boat for any great distance at
freeway speeds, the wind gets under and its parachute time.
but under 55 mph UHHHH, you are taking a chance.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

I actually asked my neighbor this same question and he replied with the same answer as the post previous to this one:

Don't do it...you'll stretch and rip stuff that's hard to replace...

cribber

Lieutenant

I always trailer with the covers off since I had to remove them to load the boat before heading to the lake. If your traveling long distance get a strap down cover that goes over the whole boat as suggested above.

Expidia

Commander

That's why they make "trailerable" covers. It's a heavier weight material. I thought I could make one up to match my Sunbrella bimini and the canvas shop told me that the Sunbrella will stretch and it's not made for trailering.

So he made a trailerable cover for me from a material called TopGun. It's great stuff!

Was about the same price as Sunbrella so I know he was not trying to just sell me another fabric that he made more profit on than the Sunbrella.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have trailered with them on for years and never had any problems with anything stretching or wearing out. I have however had covers get shredded but never snap covers. If they are fitted properly they shouldn't go anywhere. I boat at lake powell 2-3 times a year and its 350 miles each way and always use the snap covers. When not at powell its more local lakes 50-75 miles each way. So in say 5 years those covers have thousands of miles on them and still fit like new. Alot of that driving is 65 mph. The sun and weather will do more damage to the fabric than anything. I always throw the cover over the snap covers when the boat is sitting in the driveway just for that reason. Pretty extreme weather changes here in Utah. I may be wrong but just stating my personal experiences, and my snap covers are black sunbrella with heavy duty marine snaps.

sebber83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I haul my boat with the bow cover on at all times, I find it negates the wind from getting inside the boat and try and pop up the seat cushions and other items. When trailering in bad weather I will also drive with the camper top on, never had any issues, whether it be highways, side roads or any other time. Never popped any snaps, tear or stretch the top. I will even drive from my house to the launch (3 minutes) with the boards on the rack. If they dont fall at 30mph on the water, why would they fall at 30mph on the trailer!

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also trailer with the bow and cockpit covers snapped on. Thousands of miles with no issues or stretching. I still have to fight like the devil to get the last couple of snaps on.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I travel with my snap in cover in place. That is why I made it in the first place!

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I travel back from the lake with the covers on. I just leave all the towels life jackets and "stuff" in the boat. Throw on the covers and head home. When I get home I take off the covers and clean out the boat and leave the covers off. The boat is kept in a garage. So it can dry out. Then I usually leave them off on the way to the lake unless it is raining, then I put them on to go to the lake. I have done this for years and never have had any problems. The cover is custom made and has vents in it so it doesn't parachute too bad.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

thats the main reason i got a cockpit cover. to protect the interior and not lose stuff out of the cockpit.

we dont drop the hitch on ball without going 200 miles and and next two tows are 400 and 850.

i have a snap repair kit and check them each trip. havent had to replace any of worn or broke any yet.

i try to tow 55 to 65 mph. getting ready to make powell to mead pull pretty quick. then mead to powell or flaming gorge. either way end up at mead spring, powell late spring, flaming gorge summer, back to powell to winter.

wouldn't consider towing without cockpit cover

themaniam1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have trailered with them on for years and never had any problems with anything stretching or wearing out. I have however had covers get shredded but never snap covers. If they are fitted properly they shouldn't go anywhere. I boat at lake powell 2-3 times a year and its 350 miles each way and always use the snap covers. When not at powell its more local lakes 50-75 miles each way. So in say 5 years those covers have thousands of miles on them and still fit like new. Alot of that driving is 65 mph. The sun and weather will do more damage to the fabric than anything. I always throw the cover over the snap covers when the boat is sitting in the driveway just for that reason. Pretty extreme weather changes here in Utah. I may be wrong but just stating my personal experiences, and my snap covers are black sunbrella with heavy duty marine snaps.

Yep I too travel to Powell with the snap on cover and to all the lakes. Never had an issue and I drive fast, 75 mph while towing those long distances. If the cockpit cover is fitted right there should be no problems. It also keeps the wind from curling over the boat windshield and blowing things out or around inside the boat. I also think I get better gas mileage because the air does not curl around inside the boat.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you are really worried about it blowing off, have a few extra snaps installed on the leading edge.

jokaj

Seaman

Travel with bow and cockpit covers on. Not a problem and check the snaps periodically. Go to mead and powell from the OC in southern CA. 65-70 mph. I don't like the rear seat cushions blowing around and can store stuff in the boat without worrying about them being blown away.... hmmm sounds like people going to powell tow with their snap covers.....conspiracy?

mphy98

Lieutenant

I go from southeast WI to Dryden Canada 2 times a year with the bow cover on and the back cover on. I do not use the full cover so the border police can look in easily if they want. I have never had a problem with them.