• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

trolling motors and rental boats

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trolling motors and rental boats

I was wondering if it would be worth it for me to invest in a trolling motor and just rent paddle/row boats at the lakes I frequent. I do not know which brand or model to look at, and I don't know how I would mount it. Is this even possible?I would appreciate any ideas anyone may have.Thanks!

Re: trolling motors and rental boats

I have been in the same situation. You must have a place to mount it, of course, and you must have room for a 12 volt battery. I have a motorguide. Minn Kota's are nice, and Evinrude makes a quality trolling motor.

Comment

You need a proper transom just clamp on your trolling motor i would recommend that you get a minn kota from what i've been told there the best for the money spent. it all just depends now on the size boat the wieght you'll be carrying to decide what model because if your motor can't handle the wieght you'll just burn it out quickly if your getting your own motor by the time you addon rental fees for the boat i'd just say you should buy your own boat depending on what your using it for and how often your renting. if you spend a lot on a motor you should just buy a boat because a couple yrs of renting theres your boat price but yet you have no boat i'd suggest looking around for a used boat in new and used traders. hopefully this will be of some help to you?

Comment

Don't forget if you buy a motor you also need a battert a protective case for it and charger which all equals more $$$$ when it is after all just a rental is it worth it?!?

Comment

My Dad always had a small outboard with onboard tank that he would put on the rental boat. <5Hp is manageable and will give you enough juice to off a lake quickly in the event of storm or the winds pick up.. This is assuming you rent a 14-16 aluminum fishing boat.Owning a boat adds a whole lot of stuff to the equation, like launching it, waiting to launch it, waiting to retrieve it, retrieving it, insurance, maintenance, license, etc,...When we would go fishing as a kid it was very quick to mount the motor and go..
          The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

-Thomas Jefferson

Comment

g'day

Originally posted by andy View Post
            I was wondering if it would be worth it for me to invest in a trolling motor and just rent paddle/row boats at the lakes I frequent. I do not know which brand or model to look at, and I don't know how I would mount it. Is this even possible?I would appreciate any ideas anyone may have.Thanks!
            its good to look back to remember this early stuff.
            OMG - Vicious Street Fighting Movies - hair raising stuff!
            Is this type of NEW martial training realy effective?

Comment

Working...
            X