Converting saltwater boat to freshwater boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Unit

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,

Is it possible to convert a saltwater boat to a freshwater boat? If yes, what do you exactly have to do and how much can it costs?

Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Converting saltwater boat to freshwater boat?

Actually it's pretty inexpensive. You take it out of the saltwater and put it in freshwater. It's now a freshwater boat. ;)

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Hi,

Is it possible to convert a saltwater boat to a freshwater boat? If yes, what do you exactly have to do and how much can it costs?

Thanks
trailer it away from the salt water, arrive at some body of fresh water, unload the boat from the trailer into the water and drive it...it instantly becomes a freshwater boat!!

seriously most of the differences are to protect a boat from the ravages of salt water, not the other way around..like lots of zinc, periodic cleaning and flushing of the boat and motor..

if it was moored in fresh water, you might want to clean the hull , and make sure there are no barnacles growing on it.

good luck

bob

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

They usually already have done that at the factory. Take it back to the dealer and have him check the "low saline converter." Be sure it's been on "high" while you're using it in salt water. You can tell if the bilge water tastes salty--you'll need to drink about a pint to tell for sure. Have them check the relative bearing grease while they're at it.

Seriously, get rid of any water and marine growth so you won't transfer them to the lakes.

Philster

Captain

It's actually a secret ceremony.

If the boat won't convert, throw blessed fresh water on it and start chanting. Now, if I could just find a copy of Neptune's Chants.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would think the biggest is the transfer of "critters" If it was moored in salt water then take it out for a while and scrape off the marine life. Clean it up good and it should be ready fro fresh water. like someone else said it is going from fresh to salt that is a bigger thing.

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

More information about the boat in question would lead to fewer sarcastic replies (not that I mind sarcasm; my wife has dubbed me "Captain Sarcasmo," and I have the tee shirt to prove it).

If it's a sterndrive or inboard, you need to change the sacrificial anodes (aka "zincs") to the proper type for freshwater.

Big Unit

Seaman Apprentice

hahahahah....don't matter. I have a good sense of humor and I laughed when I started to read your answers. I'm new in the boating world and I'm looking to buy a bowrider. Just wanted to know if nothing special had to be done when a saltwater boat is taken to freshwater.;)

Thanks for your answers.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I htink you question really is: what doI have to watch out for in buying a saltwater boat?
Salt water dioesn't hurt boats; neglect does. Since you are buying a used boat, you'll just want to be that much more careful on your (your mechanic's) inspection. Don't worry about the "body" it's the electrical and mechanical that matters. A little surface rust/corrosion here and there isn't fatal--some stainless steel rusts. If you can, get comfortable with the seller and his taking care of his stuff.

You mentioned bowrider--there are things pertaining to inboards that others will need to address, if that's where you're headed. Any outboard is fine in salt water.

Also while every salt boat is OK in fresh, the opposite is not true. there are some bass boats that are not equipped for salt and their hardware doesn't stand up. so be sure your saltwater boat wasn't one of those.

Dave.Mishchenko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You'll also want to thoroughly check the trailer (brakes, rust, electrical) if it's been used in salt water.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Man you are getting a lot of abuse on this. Hope you are thick skinned.

I grew up in a place where I could fish either. I had 2 sets of tackle, rods, and lures. Everything metallic that touched salt water corroded. A real pain. Then after getting up at 3 AM to be out on the fishing grounds by sunup, you fished all day and home you come just to have to go through a couple hour ritual to wash down all your stuff and still it corroded. It was so bad for me that if I bought a used boat it HAD to be a fresh water only boat and I only used it in fresh water. I loved the taste of salt water fish, bar none, but I just quit it because of the corrosion and all the hassle.......ducking the flak from the guys that corrosion and cleanup is not an issue....great....enjoy!

So, I just told you where your problems would be. If the previous owner did his job and kept it cleaned up after a trip your problems are somewhat limited. If he was lazy.......RUN!

Mark

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Good point Dave.
There are many salt water boaters, myself included, who never get our trailer axles wet. Instead we use roller trailers and if the boat has some size to it, a power winch. Nothing is waterproof or rust proof or can be completely flushed/hosed off, including the lights.
But many salt water boaters dunk their trailers. Some don't know any better or believe in "waterproof." Some do it so seldom that it really doesn't matter (4x a year for service or cleaning). Some don't have a choice due to design or boat size and just add the cost of replacing stuff as a cost of boating. So again, learn about your seller. Did he go to the ramp every weekend from April to October and dunk the trailer? If so, plan on replacing it soon or at least the moving parts (bearing axle brakes). it's not a big deal, just a cost to factor in.
Even if he launches dry, the end of the trailer goes under. That cross bar may be galvanized on the outside but its not on the inside. It's not a big deal; mine just collapsed on a 20 year old trailer (launching about 8-10 times a year) and the part was only $80. Springs hubs axle all original because they stay dry. But what is bad is if the last 2-4' of the trailer frame (sides) rusts out. You can weld on a replacement section but that's not the best solution for most people.
Trailers are cheap and easy to fix; consider whether you will be doing a lot of long highway hauls as to whether you need to put the money in it.

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I was told by our Mercruiser mechanic that we need to change the anodes and prop either when we get our boat to Colorado or while it's still here in Jax, Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.