bow/cockpit cover

mhayes1

Recruit
I have a 1995 Wellcraft Excel 19.5ft bowrider (love the boat) looking for replacement bow and cockpit covers. I am guessing that my only choice is to go to a custom place and have new covers made. Does anyone know if there is a company that does aftermarket covers like these? Just trying to save a few bucks. By the time I pay for dock space and new covers I wont be albe to put gas in the boat. lol.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: bow/cockpit cover

not that you will be satisfied with. custom is the way to go. that way it fits. walmart sells blue tarps.

mhayes1

Recruit

Thanks for the input. I will probably go that route.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If the old covers are still intact enough to make a pattern off of you may be abel to save a little bit of $ in fab time. Most tent/canvas/awning shops can make these but as you know they are spendy, good luck.
You never want to make a pattern off of an old cover. Will never fit right. They have to be done on the boat.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm no seamster to be sure only going off what a local place told/did for me. My bow and cockpit covers fit perfectly, tow without issue and have done so for 3 seasons now and the canvas shop never even saw my boat. I had it done in the winter season so taking the boat to the shop would have been a pain, they told me if the old covers were intact and fit well they could use them, so thats what I did and it has worked out well. I don't want to give out bad advise only going off of a good experience I had.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Well...I make boat covers and I know from a lot of experience.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

^^^^ Good enough for me^^^^ I'm clueless when it comes to any type of sewing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

My mom taught me. She used to do it for a living.