1978 Silerline Hilo 16VBR I/O

Martman

Seaman
Looking at a used family boat, 1978 Silverline 16' with 120 merc. Were these a good boat? Are there any problems with the 120 merc. I just need enough power to pull a kid skiing or tubing, and do some fishing. I will have to pay $3000 Canadain for boat and trailer, as we have a limited supply, and a strong economy. Hull seems good, interior will need work but is usable.
Any previous owners stories and merc 120 coments would be great. I seen it before the snow last fall as well.

Attachments

• Boats For Sale 001.jpg
    Boats For Sale 001.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Boats For Sale 002.jpg
    Boats For Sale 002.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 0
  • Boats For Sale 003.jpg
    Boats For Sale 003.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Boats For Sale 006.jpg
    Boats For Sale 006.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 Silerline Hilo 16VBR I/O

I hate to be doom and gloom......but 90% chance that boat is rotted to the core requiring a total rebuild.

Bondo

Staff member

I hate to be doom and gloom......but 90% chance that boat is rotted to the core requiring a total rebuild.

Ayuh,... The 120hp will be marginal, at Best for what you want to do,...
And,... $3000.00 is about Twice what it's worth....

leshadow

Cadet

This former Saskatchewanian can't help but look out for another. How 'bout them Riders! Although I'm now on the coast, I went through the boat learning and buying about 5 years ago. Learned lots and came away happy. Do NOT restrict your search to Canada, our dollar is in decent shape and importing a boat, especially an older model, is a piece of cake. Spend the next month or two researching, especially on this forum, and searching online for an appropriate boat. The owner of the Silverline would seem to have his own ideas and strategies for winterization, but the potential for damage to the motor and hull will make your head spin and wallet empty, read up on cracked blocks and rotten stringers. If you're handy and/or mechanically inclined, you have a huge advantage, you can spot and polish a rough diamond. Boats aren't usually as steady as the family car, so choose carefully and Good Luck!