Stingray 18' or Monterey 18' Bowrider?

mhensley

Cadet
We'll be making our first boat purchase in the next 2 months and it's come down to these 2 boats. Any opinions on brands? They both have a 3.0L engine..just me my wife and 6 year old, big lake boating..We'll be purchasing new..

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Stingray 18' or Monterey 18' Bowrider?

Ha! Nice post.

My two top choices for a boat in November were:

2007 used Stingray 19 fter
2008 new (factory leftover) 18 ft Monterey

We went with the Monterey. Hands down a better built boat, as far as fit/finish goes. Things like recessed, pop out cleats, better vinyl, etc...

Can't wait to get mine...it's sitting at the dealer's warehouse, waiting for me to pick it up in April, when he'll start the warranty paperwork and prep it for summer.

We ended up getting a boat that had an MSRP of $33k for $18.5k with a trailer with brakes.

The boat had options like the SS package, the 4.3L V6, fiberglass floor, Sirius radio, iPod, extra speakers up front, etc...

So, I can't comment on the fun you'll have in either, but given the same price point, from my research, I'd definitely take the Monterey.

Also, I believe Monterey generally uses Volvo and Stingray uses Merc...not sure on this one. If it is true, though, the base Volvo setup is supposed to be better than the alpha 1 setup with the Merc. Something about clutches rather than just clunking into gear.

Can't wait to get mineeeeeeee!
Outside%20side.jpg

Cockpit.jpg

And this is how she sits for the winter:

IMG_6609.JPG

BeaufortTJustice

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also, I believe Monterey generally uses Volvo and Stingray uses Merc...not sure on this one. If it is true, though, the base Volvo setup is supposed to be better than the alpha 1 setup with the Merc. Something about clutches rather than just clunking into gear.

Stingray uses VP engines and outdrives exclusively for at least the past few years.

As far as OP, the Monterey is probably a bit nicer than the Stingray, and if all things were equal I would definitely choose the Monterey, but if there is a significant price difference (e.g. Stingray $3000 less) I would then take the Stingray. You won't be dissatisfied with a Stingray, but you'll probably be a little more satisfied by the Monterey, if that makes any sense.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

I could have sworn the one we were looking at was a Merc. Come to think of it, it might have been a 2005, though...

And to the OP, I liked the Stingray a lot...not saying that it's a bad boat by any means. The #1 reason we didn't get it was it was docked in the bay, rather than sitting on a trailer.

I hate bottom paint...and since i'm not going to be in salt much, I didn't want to deal with it...looks bad sitting on my trailer. ;)

mhensley

Cadet

Thanks everyone. Can you tell me the differences between the depths of the hull? The stingray has a strikingly shorter depth, is this because it is primarily meant for speed or sports? Just curious as to the advantages/disadvantages of a shorter hull, deeper hull,e tc..thanks!

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

Basically, from what I understand, the hull on the stingray will give you better speed with the same engine, while the hull on the monterey will give you a better ride, due to the deeper V (the ability to cut through chop will be better).

I would guess the Stingray to weigh considerably less, too...adding to the above.

EDIT: I looked it up. Dry weight on the Stingray is 2200, dry weight on the Monterey is 2500.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think you might need to expand your list since you say "big lake boating". Is this big lake generally rough and choppy? If so, you might want a little longer, and definitely the heavier the better. That being said, you will spend more on gas.

I personally love my Stingray.

reap182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Both are nice boats, maybe you could get a test drive out of them to be sure which one fits you.:)

BeaufortTJustice

Petty Officer 1st Class

I could have sworn the one we were looking at was a Merc. Come to think of it, it might have been a 2005, though...

I don't know the exact time that Stingray went VP exclusive, but I would guess it was sometime recent. That 2005 could have very well had a Merc...

I got the exclusive info from this article in Boating World...

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/9c10e33c#/9c10e33c/35

second paragraph down on right page...

This is probably irrelevant to OP issue, but wanted to clarify so a future member who searches about "Stingray" will get accurate, factual data.

Last edited:

Craigmri

Seaman Apprentice

Between the Stingray and Monterey, while I like them both and considered them both, If your saying the Monterey will only have the 3.0 I'd say Stingray if the choice was mine.

While I think the Monterey with fiberglass liner is a nicer boat, I think if your only option for the Monterey is the 3 liter I think that boat will not perform well(for me). If your not into watersports or dont really care about performance then you will be fine but if you do, the 3 liter will perform better in the Stingray. Heck they get nearly 50 MPH in that boat and the hole-shot is very respectable.

If there is any way you can score the V6 in the Monterey then that's the way I would go. Only thing I didn't like about the Monterey I checked out was the helm seat ergonomics were awkward. The seat height, steering wheel, windshield relationship seemed "off" to me.

I was still close to buying a 2008 leftover Monterey 180 with 4.3(carb). I was offered it for $17,500 on an Aluminum trailer. I paused then later found my new leftover 2008 Starcraft 1800 with 4.3 MPI 220hp on Galvanized trailer for $16,000 and jumped all over it.

Lots of good values out there so look hard and dont be afraid to make ridiculous offers.

Craig

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Stingray will definitely out perform the Monterey. As for a big lake boat I personally would want more motor in an 18ft boat. I had an 18.5 ft Glastron with a V6 and it would run 54 but Lake Hartwell in Ga is a very big lake and it would beat you to death on a weekend afternoon. Traded up to a 21 ft much heavier Larson last year. Great deal on a 2008 left over. My wife and I couldn't believe the difference the length and weight addition made to the ride.