quicksilver throttle control removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfrazier

Cadet
My son and I have been reupholstering our 1987 Fourwinns with a mercrusier.
We have been learning by doing throughout our 3 yr ownership. It is time to reupholster the panel that has the throttle on it and we want to make sure we know how to remove the handle without messing everything up. Neither of us has ever removed a throttle handle before and I haven' t found any diagrams on this. Is it difficult to do, is it something I should have a merc mechanic do for me?

actionljackson

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: quicksilver throttle control removal

You can do it and it's not difficult.I'm not sure whats all involved in the Quicksilver setup.A manual will help.Mine is a commander shift box for a Larson Citation 175 with a 4.3L V6.I just finished up redoing the interior this weekend.New carpet,New gauges,New back to back seats steering wheel and new vinyl everywhere. On my shifter I unboted it from the panel and left the cabels attached.I cut a slot in the panel to slide out the electrical wires(Mine has the trailer trim switch in it)I found out they can be unsnapped inside the shifter handle and reattached.When I was ready to put the panel back on I bolted the shifter back to it just as it came off plugged the wires back in and lubed everthing.Works great though I have not put her in the water yet.Give it a shot you sound like you have the know how and I'm sure everyone on here will help you through it if you run into trouble.They sure helped me and I am very greatful as I have saved a ton of money doing it all myself.
~Leo

cfrazier

Cadet

Thanks for responding Leo. I thought about doing it the same way you did.
I was afraid to go ahead before asking as mine has the trim button also and I don' know if everything would have sprung out once removing it. We will be doing the carpet next but I wanted to do this first. I have all the upholstery including the seats done but the panel with the control. The boated needed work including one rotten spot on the deck I had to replace. This is our first boat and we are trying to learn everything we can on this one before moving up.

cfrazier

Cadet

Now I have to figure out if I have a 3000. I have a 1987 fourwinns sundowner v8 195 hp mercruiser. The handle of the throttle as the trim, the trailering, taking the engine out of gear, and the primer. Where would I find the model on this?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

does it have this button?
!BkCSo!gBWk~$(KGrHqIOKkIEsmifjhkoBLV5B5bFwg~~_12.JPG

or a round one like it? if so then I believe it is as above

cfrazier

Cadet

Yep, its square all right. And the trailering button and trim button are near the top. So the directions you gave are good then. I am planning to do it this Saturday with my son. I will take pictures as we go because I don't want to louse it up. Thanks for the much appreciated help. Any other advice would also be helpful.

cfrazier

Cadet

For removal of the throttle we pushed in the TO button, moved the throttle forward, popped the square button off. Now we are at a brass fitting holding the handle on. I don't think you pry that off do you? Is the set screw on the bottom of the handle holding the handle on? I have attached the picture of our throttle.

Attachments

• DSC01643.JPG
    DSC01643.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 2

cfrazier

Cadet

I also cound not find the 11/16 nut that everyone mentions in their instructions.

actionljackson

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Play with it I believe if I remember correctly that set screw is what is holding your handle on.Your setup looks just like mine.by the time you read this you have probably already figured it out.I had some trouble getting that metal rod turned and lined up just right as it slipped out of position on me a couple of times.
~Leo

cfrazier

Cadet

Does the pin in the middle, (under the TO button) come out fairly easy or do you need to work it a little. How sturdy is it?

cfrazier

Cadet

Also, before I drag tools out to dry dock, does the set screw take a flat head?

hunterny

Cadet

I'm trying to do the same on my boat the throttle only button
does not work any more are there parts to fix this??Its a Quicksilver just
like the one in the picture!

cfrazier

Cadet

I think there are parts for that. I didn't pull mine out however. I got the handle off and then couldn't get the back off, and I am always afraid that I will break parts if I try to force things. I think the pin comes out, but I don't know if there is a particular way to set it again. Some one needs to post some information about the TO pins and how they go back in.

Curt

wmax

Recruit

Not sure how to replace the interior ring with holes and the locking pin. The inside bezel ring came off when I removed the handle ( commander control panel as pictured above). I removed the handle and replaced the set pin. The new pin corrected the play and now I want to go back together with it all but not sure about the placement.

Status
Not open for further replies.