1997 Starcraft Aluminum Boat Pitting

Mr Bob

Cadet
I have seen on only a couple of occasions with a boat used in salt water a lot that the aluminum pits pretty badly.
I looked at a boat today that I am considering buying, but I see it has this pitting issue. While the pits are small...they look deep , a couple dozen pin leaks in a hull seems it could become a hassle.
The boat is a 97, with a 90 HP Mariner 1997 on a decent galv. trlr.
he wants $3000..firm
I really like this boat, but the pitting has me concerned. I currently own a Grumman the same exact year but only a 17' that is spotless. Problem is that extra 2 feet in the Starcraft is what I really need in the salt water here in Long Island sound.
Anyone come across this pitting issue?? Is it a disaster in the making??

Thanks in advance

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 Starcraft Aluminum Boat Pitting

At least two of our members have come across some serious corrosion issues on the alumium boats but they were both boats from the 70's or older. Gotta say that would take that boat out of consideration for me.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

I had a 14' alum jon boat that had it, I used MarineTex to repair it and it was fine till I sold it several years later. If it's severe enough I'd prolly pass on it too.

Mr Bob

Cadet

I should mention it appeared to be to confined to the rear of the boat, the transom area or say the rear 1/5th of the boat??

Almost seems like the area where the Batteries might be stored seems to be effected.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It may be he used the incorrect zinks or didn't keep them fresh. That's almost new for an aluminum boat. I had a 17 ft Starcraft for about that many years. Lots of hard use. The only reason I got rid of it is because I bought a new Alumaweld. That will last me until I croak.

Starcraft makes a really nice boat. They have been around forever. You can surely find one in better shape. I also wouldn't be real happy with that engine. Happy hunting.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Completely repairable. We had another member that faced the same issues (actually a few members) and the repairs were shift and secure.

First take the passion out of the sale. The repair at a minimum is going to cost you time and gluvit at the least...... probably $75-$100 in supplies. Negotiate with the "firm" price and if the current owner does not accept.....walk away.

Steelhd

Seaman Apprentice

Probably caused by road salt.