Automatic versus Manual Bilge Pump

MCHILCOTE

Recruit
I am in the process of purchasing a Rule 2000GPH Bilge pump.

The functionality I want is both Manual and Automatic.

The question is am I better off with an Automatic Bilge Pump (a bit more expensive) or a Manual Bilge pump with a 40A Rule float switch?

reelfishin

Captain
Re: Automatic versus Manual Bilge Pump

Every automatic pump I've seen has had a manual override option along with the automatic float switch. I do favor a stand alone pump with an external float switch since they are less likely to be fouled by debris or gummed up with oil in the bilge. I wire any bilge pump with a manual override switch. I also usually run a second bilge pump as a back up wired the same way just in case.

"G"

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are correct in wanting both ways to activate the pump. Any bilge pump wired to a manual switch can be hooked up to an automatic float switch.

How you buy the pump, with or without float switch shouldn't make any difference in the wiring hook up.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Go with the automatic and put in an overide swotch, it is pretty easy and then you are ready for any situation.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I donno which of the Automatic pumps you're looking at,...
But,...
The 1s with the chip, that cycle to see if water is present are battery killers....

Get 1 with either the combined float switch, or add the float switch to a stand alone manual pump...

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I like the combined ones for the cleaner install.

Maclin

Admiral

I would go with a separate mechanical float switch with manual override.

The mechanical float switch can be part of the unit or have a way of attaching to the pump for a clean install. My setup is a pump and float switch that are separate units but same brand and they are designed so the float switch can slide into slots and attach to the pump or be installed remotely (it is Mayfair brand I think). I have it wired both ways, from the battery (thru a fusible link) and can also run manually anytime from a switch on the dash. The float switch also has a manual test lever so you can make sure it is still working freely and would energize the pump if activated.

I would stay away from the auto-sensing type of unit because as Bond-o mentioned, they do have to use power even when they are not needed.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i prefer built in auto/manual pumps. they are a 3 wire application. i also install 2 pumps. on separate switches, thru hull fittings and power sources.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

I also install 2 pumps. On separate switches, thru hull fittings and power sources.

Yep. My preference also (along with two batteries and two fuel tanks)

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

Yep. My preference also (along with two batteries and two fuel tanks)

+1 on the two pump setup. My 17ft runabout has a single 600gph with float switch and manual override that is always connected. I have a second "emergency" 1600gph pump on manual only. I am in the process of adding a second through-hull fitting and plumbing for the backup pump.

The reason for a more powerful backup is that on the occasion you need a second pump you want maximum pumping power available. A smaller pump is suitable for the automatic/float switch setup as it will consume less power keeping your bilge clear on a regular basis.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

Ayuh,... I donno which of the Automatic pumps you're looking at,...
But,...
The 1s with the chip, that cycle to see if water is present are battery killers....

Get 1 with either the combined float switch, or add the float switch to a stand alone manual pump...

I have a catmaran that only really has room for 1 pump on each sponson. I went with the rule 1100 automatic, as I had had less than 100% satisfaction with mechanical floats. I was concerned with the battery usage, as my boat sits on a trailer for long periods of time, under a cover with both drain plugs out.

Therefore I installed an on/off toggle switch for each pump, in a protected location so I can shut them off when the boat is out of the water. This arrangement also permits me to check their operation as they cycle thru each time they are turned on. This way I know positively that they are working.

I do agree that was my boat moored I wouldn't want the automatics as they could run down your batteries if there is no battery maintenance system hooked up to shore power.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

+1 on the two pump setup. My 17ft runabout has a single 600gph with float switch and manual override that is always connected. I have a second "emergency" 1600gph pump on manual only. I am in the process of adding a second through-hull fitting and plumbing for the backup pump.

The reason for a more powerful backup is that on the occasion you need a second pump you want maximum pumping power available. A smaller pump is suitable for the automatic/float switch setup as it will consume less power keeping your bilge clear on a regular basis.

If your boat is moored consider a second float switch 8"above the bottom of the bilge.... it won't ever run unless your other pump either fails or can't keep up with incoming water. I have never had a slipped boat but I sleep on my boat and would hate to wake up under water..... I set up that system for that reason... I also wired a buzzer into the second switch and mounted in the cabin

I'm gonna go with a 350 and two 3000's on the wellcraft the smaller the pump the less water it leaves in the bilge