Ahh.... Mahogany

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class
I do not know why, but I have always loved the look of the mahogany furniture. I guess it is its classy style and color that make it so appealing to me. So when I saw this boat I really liked it:
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-1959-Grenelle-Ski-Queen-W0QQAdIdZ177635478
it looks to be in the pretty good shape for 1950's wooden boat. I also found it very interesting that it was produced by the furniture company.
I wish I had a bit more space and money to take it and restore it to the original beauty.
Here is the full ad, in case it gets deleted:

Mahogany plywood and lapstrake wooden boat. Beautiful lines. Made by a Brampton furniture company. Powered by an 80 horsepower Mercury outboard. Comes with great trailer. The boat needs some work on the transom to be fully sea-worthy. The boat has been real pleasure--but no time to give it the TLC it needs. Hoping to send it to good handy-man home to restore its beauty and function.

Attachments

• test1.jpg
    test1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 0
  • test2.jpg
    test2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 0
  • test3.jpg
    test3.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 0
  • test4.jpg
    test4.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 0

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: Ahh.... Mahogany

Beautiful boat. I've owned a couple of them and wish they were practical for where I now live.

I noticed that the ad mentions needing some work at the transom. Inspect that area carefully, because you will often see some rot where the transom joins the hull. Look for it around the entire length of the joint.

???

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class

I noticed that the ad mentions needing some work at the transom. Inspect that area carefully, because you will often see some rot where the transom joins the hull. Look for it around the entire length of the joint.

Yep, that scares me. I am very good with wood but have a feeling that sides are made from 1 solid piece of plywood and if there is any rot (and I bet there is) then I will have to replace the whole side :eek: And where to find matching plywood.

I am not going to buy it, but wanted to share this beauty with you guys.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yep, that scares me. I am very good with wood but have a feeling that sides are made from 1 solid piece of plywood and if there is any rot (and I bet there is) then I will have to replace the whole side :eek: And where to find matching plywood.

I am not going to buy it, but wanted to share this beauty with you guys.

Yeah, I agree that its probably 1 piece of steam molded ply. It's not what I think of when discussing " lapstrake " although I see where the chines start forward how one could get that idea.
She's real pretty, I wish there were better pictures of the rot, just to have a better idea how bad it is.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

mahogony ply is still available, you would only have to cut out a patch, then work the varnish back in. done all the time on plywood boats.

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class

She's real pretty, I wish there were better pictures of the rot, just to have a better idea how bad it is.
We are just assuming rot based on the fact taht owner says that it needs transom work

thatnks tashasdaddy for the info. I found some suppliers for 6mm plywood they want 150 bucks +SH Whih is not bad. i am concerned about seams, they never look good, especially if mot of the boat is made of 1 piece

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Sources of mahagony for repairs and patches:
discarded solid mahagony furniture. A bed rail is basically a 1x6 and 8 feet long; a headboard is a big solid pice, either pegged or one plank. Drawer faces, dresser tops, etc. and even cabinet faces.
shipping spacers and pallets: around the docks, you can find large pieces of mahagoney that was used for spacers between crates or other breakbulk cargo shipped from Asia. I picked up some nice pieces once, about 3"x3" and 4' long.
Exotic lumber yards' scrap piles: milled off strips make nice rub rails; I finished out a canvas-topped kayak with some.

ozenine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now you are Cooking!!!!
I would never thought that they will make pallets from mahogany.....
I like the furniture idea. I just imagine the look on my wife's face when I will drag home not only mahogany bopat but also a bedroom set "to fix my boat, honey". :D:D:D:D

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class

They can be beautiful boats. But keeping one that way is a never ending chore.

There's a very well known wooden boat builder here (Stauter Boats) that's been in business for many decades. Even though they build a very high quality boat (all are built to order) with few exceptions once they get 5-6yrs old they look 20... even those kept in garages seem to always be needing care to the finish.... and once water gets to any unprotected wood.... they get very ugly very quickly.

While I like looking at them, my wooden boat ownership days are long over.

I even built a couple plywood and glass boats years ago from plans I purchased. I have no idea whatever became of the first of them but the second one I built was a 20ft CC and it's still being used regulary by the 4th or 5th guy that's owned it since I sold it 20 some years ago.

Looks like it's got it's 10th or so coat of paint on it....LOL

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Always wanted an old Criss Craft. Could never justify the expense. Upkeep is legendary. I was also told that when they are pulled out of the water, the joints dry out and lose their water tight integrity. I dunno.

They sure are beautiful!!!