What is a good spotlight for night tme navigation?

scbackpacker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking for a good spotlight for night time navigation back to the dock. I've just about decided on a golight to mount on the front of the boat. Any ideas on a spotlight? Getting caught on the lake a dark is no fun even with a gps and flashlight. I'd also like to night fish some.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: What is a good spotlight for night tme navigation?

Spot/floodlights are not intended for full time navigation and actually decreases your visibility. Not only that, but the person you are blinding coming from the other direction, or shadowing the person in front of you will get you chastised when you do get to the dock. For momentary use to check position anything that emits light will do.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

We use docking lights that came with our boat for docking in the dark, very handy. I keep a handheld spotlight at the helm when operating in the dark, but hardly ever use it, I rely on a chartplotter with a pre-entered route, reduced speed, lighted nav-aids, and a sharp lookout at night. I would recommend against having one mounted, unless you can mount is at the very tip of the bow, because it will illumintate the topsides of the boat and ruin your night vision when it's on.

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

If by "back to the dock" you mean "I need to illuminate the dock while pulling in", any handheld will work. I use a $10.00 rechargable 1,000,000 candlepower light I got at lowes.

If you are a mile away and need the light to "navigate", you don't the water well enough to be out after dark. When you are boating at night, keep your nav lights on (green/red up front, 360 deg stern light), let your eyes adjust to the light you have and proceed slowly. If you need to identify a landmark to get your bearings, stop, pull out the spotlight and scan the surface (being carful not to point the light toward any other vessels). Turn it off and proceed slowly again. In NC at least it is illegal to use the light underway.

Edit: I see this was pretty much covered while I was composing my reply

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I second the 1,000,000 candle power hand held spot lights. Great for finding bouys and channel markers at night, and plenty bright for docking. I carry a rechargable hand held by Coleman. It has the built in lead acid battery and has lasted 6 years and still going strong.

I gave up on adding a spot light to the bow deck because after being out in the dark a few times, I quickly realized that the hand held does what I need better than a deck mounted light.

scbackpacker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. I'll look at the hand held types. I know they're a whole lot cheaper.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys. I'll look at the hand held types. I know they're a whole lot cheaper.

....and continuing with previous suggestions:
When you select your hand-held light, try to locate one WITHOUT a translucent housing as the side lighting will greatly illuminate the fore deck, destroy your night vision as well as blind your crew. Additionally, when using your light, try to keep it low and constantly in motion to preclude blinding other boaters.
Stow your light in a ziplock bag with a packet of desiccant when not in use.

FWIW...Ed in old Virginny

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The best I found was a Stanley ultra bright LED spot light. Picked it up at wally mart. Its small and the battery last a long time. It has an adjustment for how bright the beam is and a lock to keep it on if you need to.

Attachments

• Stanley-SL5W09 5-Watt-LED-Spotlight.jpg
    Stanley-SL5W09 5-Watt-LED-Spotlight.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 0

ziggy

Admiral

sounds like yer gonna get hip to a handheld. right on. i'll just add another thumbs up to the hand held spot light. the one i got is old school and plugs into a ciggerette lighter. works just dandy....
like others, i use it to locate landmarks while docking. locate landmarks while underway, and if i suspect there's something to see. it just gets turned on for a moment for a quick scan in most cases...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

If your boat does not already have cigarette lighter type accessory outlets, be sure to buy a stainless steel outlet. If you shop around, they can be found for about $7-8. I bought two and added them to the boat low on the dash just for the purpose of recharging spot light and accessories like mp3 players, cell phones, marine radio, etc. Don't bother installing regular auto grade outlets, they just won't hold up long, especially if you boat in the salt.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You want a flood light not a spot light. In total darkness the narrow beam of a spot is to brilliant and narrow. And as MISCHIEF points out, have the cord long enough where it can be held forward of the bow so no part of the boat is lit up. Like driving a car at night in the rain with the dome light on, dont work to good. FRED

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I definately prefer a pencil beam spot over a flood for scanning and searching..... I have a joystick operated light with both but to choose a handhelp I would not want a flood as you can't see long diistance because the light illuminates close up objects and spoils your night vision
the best luck I've had in the past with a handheld was to stand up and hold it as high in tha air as possible to avoid lighting the deck or to have a buddy sit on the bow and work the light..... I much prefer my remote mounted to the pulpit..... I generally switch on do a 45 degree sweep and switch off.... after several minutes sweep the other way and so on.... that way I avoid the logs and keep a lookout for any dummies running dark without blinding myself or other boaters

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I'm leaning toward this Coleman LED Spotlight. http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=4351-700
It's getting great reviews and most owners say it last around 2-2 1/2 hrs. on a charge. It can also work with plug if battery discharges.

Neat spotlight. Never used a LED model before, but I can say that a narrow spot is really good for scanning the coast line from 50-100 yards looking for a familiar landmark.

Let us know what you think of the LED model. Maybe post some pics after you get it?

scbackpacker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll do it. Only thing I don't like about it is the wimpy charging cords. I may shoot coleman an e-mail suggesting they make a heavy duty cord for boaters.
Hey got me another promotion.:D

Moody Blue

Captain

I have the GOLight with remote control and I keep a handheld rechargeable spotlight onboard. The GoLight has an amazing brilliant highly focused light that will light up the shoreline half a mile away. Good for locating distant landmarks but too bright and too narrow a beam for most uses. The handheld is by far the most versatile IMHO.

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use the Stanley rechargeable that walmart sells for around $18. I keep 4 of them on charge while the other 4 are on the boat. I commercial fish and use spot lights constantly during the nights. So far, they have lasted me about 2 years of extreme use and abuse with no problems. They have been dropped and submerged. Other than scratches and a little rust they still work when I need them to.