• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jon Boat Ideas

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Boat Ideas

I'm always looking for good jon boat ideas..Here's my Polar Kraft jon with 4 HP .It's only 10 foot.I vbought it used for 100.00 20 years ago..I cut out 4 doors along the seats for storage...I've had 700 pounds in this boat before ,,it's very sturdy.

Merry Christmas

Re: Jon Boat Ideas

Nice looking rig, but 700 pounds is a WHOLE LOT of weight for a 10 footer!
    Originally posted by Chuck7 View Post
    I'm always looking for good jon boat ideas.
    - Bilge pump
    - Fish finder
    - Nav. lights (for nights)
    - Auxillary battery (if you don't already have one)
    - Stick steering
    "Winter Dream"
    Silverton 34C
    White/Green

Wellcraft 23 Nova XL

Lowe 1448 BigJon
    w/Evinrude 25HP

Comment

That 's not my normal load LOL. It is a very sturdy boat..It's an alumiweld type with no rivots.
      Merry Christmas

Comment

[QUOTE=arks;2443613]Nice looking rig, but 700 pounds is a WHOLE LOT of weight for a 10 footer!

You removed the flotation from the seats? The name on the side is appropriate, you might get to see Him. At least wear those life jackets!!!!

Comment

Actually I have seen him..in October of 1976...during a war game against the 82nd airborne..I had a vision after reading my New Testament.I was then sent to be part of the Honor Guard in Washington D.C. during the reign of President Carter.

I did remove the foam because 1/2 of it was eatten away by rats. I have my fish baskets, , life jackets and anchors in there.
          Merry Christmas

Comment

foam does not make it float better, it is actual weight. it is there to keep it from completely sink, if damaged.
            FLORIDA GATORS
            TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
            That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Chuck7, That is a nice Jon. 20yrs that's good, I have a 14ft Monarch that I have had about 3 200lbs people plus ice chest and gear and it handled fine. I need to add storage and steering to get rid of the tiller, but all in due time. Love the boat.

Comment

[QUOTE=F_R;2443633]
                Originally posted by arks View Post
                Nice looking rig, but 700 pounds is a WHOLE LOT of weight for a 10 footer!

You removed the flotation from the seats? The name on the side is appropriate, you might get to see Him. At least wear those life jackets!!!!
                Originally posted by tashasdaddy View Post
                foam does not make it float better, it is actual weight. it is there to keep it from completely sink, if damaged.
                My 16' Voyager Jon inadvertently crashed into a dock, the stern went under and the boat totally filled with water but did not sink thanks to the foam. We baled like crazy and got it back on the trailer and pulled the plug. Nothing in the boat was lost. Not even the fish we caught!

I will NEVER remove foam from a boat.
                I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way, and I get there just fine without a GPS.

Comment

Do you hunt ducks or bucks? You might try refinishing the boat in a camoflague motif. There's a fun idea that anyone can do. A camoflague pattern in flat makes up-keep easier too.

Comment

I hunt bucks and hogs..but not from a boat..I'll be sitting in a tree in the Green Swamp at 5:30 this morning..
                    Apprciate the replies,
                    C7
                    Merry Christmas

Comment

Nice looking rig. Love the SEEK GOD painted on the side! Dave
                      WARNING: In the event of the Rapture My boat will be UN-Manned!

1959 Memphis Belle 14' Lake V
                      1973 9.6 Sea King

sigpic

Comment

Apprecaite the kind words Dave..
                        I havn't been here a while..been busy fishin [ -;
                        Merry Christmas

Comment

Polk county license plates, Green Swamp Reference. My guess is the water you boat in is mostly old phosphate mines? Some of those are rumored to hold monster bass.

Comment

You guessed it [ -;
                            I fish old phosphate pits mostly. Most have islands to get out of the wind..various depths . I also fish the kind with no boat ramps..just back the 4 x 4 down the bank..push off and enjoy.

In the fall, I hunt the Green Swamp or Three Lakes WMA ..
                            I don't hunt ducks..only deer and hogs..rifle , black powder and archery

Enjoying God's Wonderful Creation,
                            Chuck7
                            Merry Christmas

Comment

I am confused as to what a Jon Boat is. I've got a small v-hull that has been called a Jon Boat and my son says his flat bottom is a flat bottom boat... I guess a Jon boat is just a small boat. I've got a 9.8 Merc on my v-hull and want to keep it light as possible. Tho', i've added lights and a trolling motor. Like you, I paid $150 for this old junker WITH TRAILER. I covered the wooden seats with carpet padding then stapled on some Naugahyde upholstery material. Rather than screwing the seats down I put screwed on pieces of wood underneath just to keep them from sliding around so I can use the seat supports for storage areas. This old boat never had any styrofoam for added flotation... I put my battery in one of the compartments and am actually considering adding floatation. Also, I'm considering some plywood and carpet so I can have a dry place to put my feet. For the wiring I'm using inexpensive old extension cords (the orange type) and added switches. I've also added a bilge pump.

Comment

Working...
                              X