Fixing Deck Scupper that Drains Into Bilge!

jgough

Cadet
I have a 1999 1850 Seaswirl Striper that I dearly love. I would call it the perfect boat except for one design flaw (in my opinion)...the deck scupper drains straight into the bilge!!! This ends up with dirt, salt water and fish blood/guts in my bilge, which I really do not want. The deck seems to be at or below the waterline, which would make it hard to just run a straight line from the scupper overboard....any ideas? Experience? this is driving me CRAZY!!

Jim

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fixing Deck Scupper that Drains Into Bilge!

Some picture would help.

Also, check some Seaswirl Striper specific forums or contact the manufacturer.

jgough

Cadet

Thanks, that seems like a good idea. If anyone else has any experience/ideas, please share. I'll try to get some photos...

In the meantime I'll also check with Seaswirl to see what they have to say for themselves!!

Jim

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

drain them into a sealed sump ie bucket with lid or box with a lid with a bilge pump and float switch....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

or how about the load sensing automatic bilge pumps.... do they make one that goes inline?

jgough

Cadet

That's a good idea, I'll look into it...Thanks

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Load sensing bilge pumps will kill a battery fast. If the boats left for extended periods forgettaboutit!

Bondo

Staff member

Load sensing bilge pumps will kill a battery fast. If the boats left for extended periods forgettaboutit!

Ayuh,... I rewired the 1 I bought to run thru a float switch....:rolleyes:

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

the typical bilge pump might not like the fish guts to much nor the sand.
Might want do something to prevent those from going to the bilge at all.

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't get it. Forgive my ignorance, but aren't scuppers supposed to give the water that comes onto the deck a path to go overboard? A "scupper" that directs the water to the bilge is basically the same as a hole in the deck. Is jgough's situation a manufacturing design defect?

Philster

Captain

It's not a scupper.

That's been established.

Can it be a scupper? If it can drain water overboard based on gravity, then I guess it could be. Where it sits in relation to the real water line is the key. Any scuppers that are added are ways for water to enter the boat too, so the owner must make a wise decision.

If it is very important, a good boat surveyor might be able to offer assistance, or an insurance rep. Bilges and scuppers: They are noted (guilty) in most sinking reports, as the huge majority of sinkings take place at the dock on an unmanned vessel. Scupper clogged, or scuppers(s) let water in or bilge failed (for various reasons).

gss036

Commander

I would also advise you to check the Seaswirl forums to see if anyone has come up with a problem. I have heard of the problem but not the cure. I had a couple of friends trade boats because of the water in the bilge problem with SeaSwirl boats.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

The scuppers on my boat drain below the water line.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

My 17' DC Key West has one deck drain in the stern in front of the transom that just drains into the bilge for the pump to deal with it. It has a stainless strainer on it, like a shower drain. You might add a screen drain for those blood and guts days. Otehrwise, when its on the trailer, open the hull plug and blast it out from inside, the best you can do. For mine, a small tub to catch stuff wouldn't be practical.

After 20 years of baoting, includnig a lot of beaching and muddy duck hunts, I don't have any build-up in my stern bilge area.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

It's not an unintentional design flaw but definitely not the best design ever dreamt up by a boat manufacturer. The Wellcraft I have has a 26 year history and there was period of time that the design was to drain the deck into the bilge until a redesign raised the floor to go out the side ....even then the current drain is just barely above the water line and water still comes up from the floor drain in rough seas or people standing in the back.
You can only raise the floor so much before you lose free board and effect the balance of the boat....

Other than some of the suggestions above about a sump or some such thing there's no way you can get water to flow up hill so it is what it is.

w2much

Lieutenant

I have a 21' Striper with the same issue almost. My scuppers drain to the outside only if there is no weight at the stern. Two guys fishing and a 40 gallon bait tank and I have about six inches of water on the deck at the stern. Boots always or wet feet. I was at a Seaswirl dealer the other day and he showed me Seaswirls solution. Rubber stops for the deck drains which looked like a black pacifier. $10.00 each. Seems to me if it were a car it would have been recalled for bad design instead Seaswirls sells drain plugs.Your deck is at or barely above the waterline. I would plug the drains so that water does not enter the bilge, I use my boat in salt water for fishing only. I also trailer my boat, not kept in the water .I too love my boat. Love it like a 3 legged dog, it is mine and paid for but wish the dog had four legs.
Oh well the boots are fine. The design blows my mind.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

I've had waves break on the forward deck (Cuddy) and run down the sides to the rear like a rushing river... Talk about a pucker factor! The coolers were floating and the water was a foot deep but the drains worked great. In a minute or so all the water is gone. Way better than draining into the bilge or worse. I'll take a little water on the deck over no drain any day!

On my Wellcraft I can always see water in the deck drain hole. I trailer it but if I didnt I'd be paying attention to the drain hoses and probably replace the white plastic hose with fuel hose or some kind of re-inforced hose material. The thru-hulls are an inch or so above the waterline.

If you push the deck of the boat lower than the over board drains water will come in. Just because there is water on the deck dosnt mean it's not still draining. Add another 200 gallons on the deck and water will return to the original level, the deck will still be awash, but drained.

I think the only remedy is a bigger boat. If my wife complains too much about the water I'll have to remember the cure!

jgough

Cadet

Thanks for all of the responses.......We fixed the problem, for the most part...it works great and there's no more blood and guts in the bilge!

We added a short 1 1/2" hose run to the deck drain and hooked it up to a Jabsco macerator pump. It drains out eh stern through a 1" through-hull. Problem solved! We are careful to keep any fish hooks, swivels, lead weights from going down the drain with a stainless screen. Worked AWESOME for our recent week-long trip to BC , salmon fishing. Lots of fish scales and blood on the deck, a quick squiort with the new washdown hose and then zip zip out the stern ...the bilge stayed dry, clean the whole trip.

Anyway, good stuff, thanks again and God Bless Iboats!

Jim